BMI is 39... need help!

Lexie A.
on 7/30/03 4:54 pm - Savannah, GA
Hi, I'm 5'1" and 205 lbs. I've spoken to my insurance company and they want me to go on a 6 month supervised diet. Actually, the nurse who does the approval was very nice and told me a less expensive way to do this is to have my MD recommend Weigh****chers. She already has my weight and height on her computer. She told me if I lost 10 or 20 lbs she wouldn't hold it against me... but I'm nervous that this will bring my BMI down low enough that they'll turn me down. I've asked if they'll make an exception and let me do WW for 5 months which brings me to December. That would be the best month for me (work is slow then) and again, the nurse was very nice and said that would be fine. It's just so hard to trust insurance companies! Has anyone had the surgery that has a BMI below 40? I'm on meds for HBP, high cholesterol; I'm 43 and sick of being overweight.
Laura F.
on 7/31/03 12:53 pm - Dallas, Ga
My BMI pre op was 38.5 and I was easily approved. I had typical co-morbs. Don't you have any evidence of a diet or else I think your PCP can verify that you have dieted for 6 months in the past. As with all of us we have dieted all our lives. I got all proof I could dig up. Even had pharmacy to send a list of meds I had tried(Meridia, Wellbutrin,Phentermine,Prozac-all for weight loss). Have you seen your Surgeon yet? Mine did all the insurance work for me. My insurance is BCBS HMO. I had really expected a fight, but was quickly approved. My intial appt. with Dr. was Sept 2002, had surgery Nov. 2002. I have lost 95 lbs. This is the best thing I have ever done for myself. I am in love with being normal. And it happened so fast. Best wishes and hang in there. You will get a chuckle out of being labled "lightweight". There was nothing lightweight about me.
Most Active