What to expect long term and will I still want to eat???

(deactivated member)
on 10/21/03 2:37 am - XX
I am in the process of being approved by my insurance,(hopefully). One of my biggest concerns are how patients are feeling 5 and 10 years down the road. After the honeymoon period of loosing the weight is over. Another concern is how well does the roux-en-y do as far as curbing that desire to eat?
Karen M.
on 10/21/03 12:45 pm - Duluth, GA
I am 2 yrs 1+ month postop. I am not having any major issues at this time. I am still losing weight although very, very slowly and still a few inches are going. But I eat whatever I want, and I mean that literally. I have treats/snacks often. All my labs are within normal limits. There isn't really anything that bothers me about my surgery. I'm used to eating small amounts and having to not drink with food. And I love being a size 8/small. I love being able to do all the physical things I want to now. I think the size of your pouch and the fact that you will feel sick if you eat too much curb eating too much overall. I still never feel hungry, or the sensation of hunger like prior to surgery. I know I should eat and sometimes if I forget I feel weak, so I eat. Actually, I don't count calories or portions or anything, I eat when & what I want to. Now some days I can eat and eat and other days 2 bites and I'm full. Somedays all I want are salads and some days I can't get enough protein. It varies. I have a couple of people at my job who are 3.5 yrs and 5+ yrs postop and they have kept their weight off and say they are really about the same as me as eating. They eat pretty much whatever they want and even have sweets at times. I know that this has been one of the best things I ever did and would do it again in a heartbeat. My only regret was not learning about it much sooner! Good Luck on your journey! Email me anytime. Remember every single one of our bodies are different and we all have a very personal journey. Don't try to force yourself into a preconceived mold. Best wishes always, karen
Marrilee M.
on 10/21/03 3:04 pm
Hi Karen, You sound like the poster child for WLS. LOL You are doing great and I appreciate the time to post here and your journal. I see that Dr. Appel preformed your surgery but I couldn't find what type of surgery you had. I really really hope that my hunger switch gets permanently disconnected and my full switch comes back online with a low setting. LOLO I hate the quantity I can eat now and never feel full. I hope my only regret is not having it done sooner. Blessings, Scout pre-pre-op Kennesaw,GA
Most Active