Who is your primary doctor?

kw0299
on 4/18/14 5:43 am

Hi everyone-hope everyone is feeling good!  I live in Overland Park.  My primary doc doesn't take my new insurance (UHC Community Plan).  Just curious, who do you have as a primary doc?  Do they support your decision?  I know a doctor I had several years ago would not agree to it and just advised a low fat diet.  Shocker :).  On the search for a new primary doctor but want to make sure he/she supports WLS when necessary.  Thanks!!

KayRuss
on 4/29/14 3:36 pm
VSG on 05/14/14

I live in OP, too. I see Dr. Mary Ann Campbell at Leawood Family Care (110th-ish and Nall). I've only seen her once. I just recently finished grad school and couldn't see the student doc anymore so I had to find a new one. I chose that practice because a friend recommended them to me and they have walk-in hours including nights and weekends and you can access all your records online. Dr. Campbell was generally supportive for having just met me.  I had to go to the walk-in clinic a couple times and saw Dr. Kerry Jordan (a guy). I liked his demeanor a little better and might switch to him in the future. I only randomly chose Dr. Campbell because I needed a well woman's exam and I prefer to have a woman do that.  My insurance is Blue Cross. 

kw0299
on 5/2/14 3:07 pm

KayRuss, 

How funny because I go there too!  That's the practice I go to now but they don't take my insurance anymore.  I have seen Dr. Campbell a few times and really liked her.  I see Dr. Lisa Winkler there and she's wonderful.  If only they took it! Have you started the insurance process with your surgeon?  How's it going?  I had my very first appointment today-with the dietitian. 

KayRuss
on 5/3/14 1:50 am
VSG on 05/14/14

Haha. That's a funny coincidence! I know several others that go to that practice, too. It must be one of the more popular ones in the area.  I hope you find a new provider that takes your insurance. 

I started jumping through insurance hoops in mid-December and got approval in early April.  I lost 20 lbs on the 3-month supervised diet. My insurance required that I lose 5% of my body weight for approval, which was ~16 lbs, so that was my motivation to stick to it.  I just followed the dietitians rules (lots of protein, no snacks, lots of water, no carbonation). The hardest part for me was/is not drinking before, during, or right after eating.  I also live alone so I think the dietary changes are a little easier for me because I don't have a husband or kids to deal with.

I started the liquid diet on 4/30 and I'm scheduled for the gastric sleeve with Dr. Hamilton on 5/14.  Everything is finally starting to feel real and I'm getting nervous!

kw0299
on 5/4/14 12:46 pm

Oh that's so soon and so great!  I am in the super beginning :).  It's hard though right?  I feel like it's all hurry up and wait.  The office has been great so far.  I am excited to be going through such a great practice.  Hoping insurance all works out but of course that's always the big question.  I'm nervous about the 3 month sup diet.  All the things that were told to me  (no diet coke!  no snacks, protein, etc.) totally freaks me out.  I  basically snack all day with processed food and carbs.  I rarely eat protein!  I'm awful!  However, I guess it's lead me to where I am today.  Determined to do everything correctly.  I've heard that the not drinking before/during/after has been so hard for others too.  How's the liquid diet going?  Did you have an EGD (is that what it's called)? Again, so excited for you!!!

KayRuss
on 5/8/14 12:06 pm
VSG on 05/14/14

The first month of the supervised diet is the hardest.  It will get easier!  If you find yourself needing to snack, eat something with high protein like light string cheese or fat-free greek yogurt.  I snacked on fruit too if I just needed to eat something.  You can do it!  Just keep reminding yourself that this is preparing you now to be more successful after surgery.  

The week before I started the liquid diet, I ate everything I used to love one last time...and I will honestly say that after the 3 months of eating mindfully and healthily, the things I used to love just didn't taste the same.  French fries for example....I used to LOVE them but after the diet, they were just "good".  I had a few and then I was done; I didn't need to eat all of them.  The foods I used to love just didn't produce the same feeling in my mouth and brain that they used to.  

The liquid diet is going pretty well so far.  I cheated a couple times the first couple days but with silly, healthy stuff just because I wanted solid food.  haha The first night I had about 1/4 cup of left over green beans and another night I had two tablespoons of black bean and corn salsa.  Days 3-5 were the hardest.  It's much easier now.  I've gotten creative making protein shakes.  I really, really want a cheeseburger, though!  I've lost 10.6 lbs in the 8 days I've been doing it.  Only 6 days until surgery. Eek!

Yes, I had the EGD.  It was no big deal.  You're not completely unconscious but you can't feel anything and you can't remember a whole lot.  I was in the office at 7:45 and home by 9:15.  The worst part was getting the IV.  The nurse didn't do a very good job and it left a huge bruise on my forearm for about 10 days.  Actually having the IV placed didn't hurt though because they numbed it up with a little Novocain first.  

kw0299
on 5/9/14 1:35 pm

Oh wow!  IV sounds totally painful!  I am so not a fan of them!  :)  I can't believe how much you've lost!  I think it hasn't hit me that I really need to be dieting-and so different than my normal Weigh****chers-type dieting.  I keep remembering my meeting last week with the dietitian and everyday I'm like "oh crap-I was supposed to be eating totally different than I am!"  Funny how as picky as I am I still am 350+ pounds!!! Scary number to look at.  I'm so glad to hear about your experience.  I imagine you are super busy and preparing for the big day (yay!!!!) but any advice you can give me food wise or anything I'd love it!  I think my biggest fear is not feeling any different after surgery and trying to figure out to eat basically nothing hahaha.  I'm slightly dramatic if you haven't realized already. :)  

How long are you taking off work?  Have you told them or anyone?  Am I sounding crazy nosy?  About 5 days to go!!!

deniseselah
on 5/9/14 3:12 pm - Kansas City, MO
VSG on 05/06/14

I'm in Grandview MO and see docs at Encompass Medical  Group - very supportive - inbox me for more info.

What shall I return to the Lord for all his bounty to me? 

I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord,  I will pay my vows to the Lord in the presence of all his people. Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his faithful ones.  

O Lord, I am your servant; I am your servant, the child of your serving girl. You have loosed my bonds. -- Psalm 116:12-16

Dorine63
on 6/15/14 5:21 am - Alma, KS
VSG on 06/20/14

Hello from McFarland, KS. I am go to Turning Point Weight Loss & Bariatric Center in Topeka, KS. The staff are all very friendly and encouraging. The surgeons are willing to take the time to help their patients understand all aspects of the surgery as well as what to expect pre- & post-op. They make sure that you are able to make a well informed decision about whether or not to have surgery and which one would be the best. I am totally satisfied with the care I am receiving at this clinic.

Dorine Schley 

Most Active
Recent Topics
SUPPORT GROUPS
KansasPrincess · 1 replies · 6477 views
Insurance Help.
tj91116 · 1 replies · 6387 views
Who is your primary doctor?
kw0299 · 8 replies · 7839 views
UHC Community Plan (KS Medicaid)?
kw0299 · 0 replies · 6874 views