Back in the game.....

John Corley
on 3/10/13 7:57 pm - Quincy, MA
Was going to have my surgery in 2010 but I had other health issues To take care of first. I had to have a spinal cord stimulator implanted for the pain in My arm caused by RSD/CRPS.

Got back into the program At Boston Medical Center in 2012 and I am scheduled to have surgery on April 15, 2013. I changed my mind about having gastric bypass to having the sleeve gastrectamy.

Still have Dr. Hess because Hess is the best!!

I have lost a total of 44 pounds or so since I was on this forum last.

Now I am 226 pounds. I started off at 296 lbs back in 2009, I've lost 70 pounds total since I started the program.

I do feel that I do need the surgery still, it will help me prevent future health issues that could arise mostly hereditary. I came off of Metformin two months ago, and I hope to come off of the high blood pressure medicine Lisinopril.
I'll be back more often to keep everybody updated
John

bostonbabe369
on 3/11/13 10:02 am - Stoughton, MA

Hi John!  I am curious why you decided to have the sleeve instead of the gastric bypass? My orthopedic surgeon recommended I get the lap band. I have been doing some research and I decided to look into getting gastric bypass instead. I did not like the complications of the lap band procedure ( monthly fills, slippage, erosion, etc.). I would appreciate your input. I have my first visit with my surgeon this month. Thanks!

John Corley
on 3/11/13 11:31 am - Quincy, MA
Back in 2009 when I thought I was going to have to lap band I walked out of the doctors office With the choice of having gastric bypass. I chose not to have the laptop and because the same reasons as you. And I changed my decision about having the gastric bypass because of all the issues with gastric bypass, like dumping syndrome, more invasive, more visits to the hospital, Or doctors office, I chose the sleeve because you heal quicker, don't have as much risks as the gastric bypass, and I know someone that had the sleeve, And I know people that've had the gastric bypass, both Surgeries have success stories yet they were more issues with people that I know that had the gastric bypass than the person I know that had the sleeve. And I've been doing a lot of research about both and the differences and the complications.

bostonbabe369
on 3/13/13 1:22 pm - Stoughton, MA
John! Thanks for your input. I will do more research on both procedures. I have my first consultation in 2 weeks. I am sure the doctor will explain all procedures available in more detail. I heard the process can be long so I will have time to do more research and decide. Hopefully I can meet and talk with more people who have had these procedures.
Sunshine2012A
on 3/28/13 6:28 am

Good luck John!

I'm in the process of having surgery as well. I hope by this June/July.  Keep on posting, would like to see your progress! Congrats on losing 70lbs! 

Sandy

John Corley
on 3/28/13 6:32 am - Quincy, MA

Thank you Sandy, good luck with your journey. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 609 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2179 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4363 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4491 views