new to site with so many questions

notoriousgrannyD
on 4/26/11 11:16 pm
VSG on 10/16/12
I have been researching and researching and researching and have found this site to be a very valuable tool in making my decision.  I have spoken to my doctor (after having to really screw up my courage as my last doctor poo-pooed me and sent me on my way, which messed up my decision for a couple of years)  Anyway....  We are putting together a consultation for Julie at St. B and I was wondering if anyone had any tips or instructions that could help?

Since I am poor the lapband is not an option but I think the VSG is a better option for me anyway, all things considered.  Does anyone have any opinions on that? 

Does anyone know anything about the new bariatric program at the Vic?

thanks for any and all info!!
. Surgery date OCTOBER 16th    
Kokonut
on 4/26/11 11:31 pm
VSG IS GREAT! I have many opnions on it..LOL All of them GREAT! I had my VSG done at the Vic, Nov 29th last year. The docs are awesome, they are working hard to get this program properly funded. I think the band is a dangerous thing and I am glad I am poor too, or I might have had it instead. I was considering the RNY, but really felt I didn't need it. Vsg is perfect for me and is working very well.

Most of us chatters here have had our surgeries iat the Vic and some have had surgery in Mexico, Alberta and Vegas..might be other places too. But those are the ones I remember.

I'm sure others will chime in too
Highest Weight Ever:312 StartW:272 CW:164 SW:253 GW:180  Height 5'10"

TotalKa_os
on 4/26/11 11:41 pm - Canada
Welcome to this forum! I have found it very valuable as well. The ladies (and the odd gent) are very helpful and supportive.
I'm so glad you found a doctor who is supporting you with your decision. I have not had the surgery yet but my consultation was approved last November, so I'm just waiting for the call.
According to my doctor, there are a few things that they're looking for in the letter...that you've tried various other methods, your BMI is in the range, etc. So far I think it's about a 8-10 month waiting list, but they are trying very hard to speed things up.
I am also going the VSG route. My dad is a family doctor and he has sent me lots of research about the lap band...that there are many complications, the band deteriorating, having to go for regular saline injections, etc.
Good luck with things. Please feel free to message me on here if you have any questions.
Kara
Tanya W.
on 4/27/11 1:17 am - Winnipeg, Canada
Welcome!

Please don't be shy about asking questions. As Kokonut says, we are all full of opinions!

The only person who can decide which operation is right for you, is you! When you meet with the surgeon, they will discuss both options with you. Like Kokonut, I am actually grateful that I didn't have the money for the Lapband. There seems to be poorer results & more long-term issues with it. Anyway, after lots of research, I decided that the RNY was best for me. However, many people have opted for the sleeve and are thrilled with the results.

The bariatric program in St. Bonficace (with nurse Julie) is the program at the Victoria Hosptial. The surgeons have their offices in the Tache Clinic, however they do the surgeries out of the Victoria Hospital. The surgeries are free of charge. However you will be out of pocket $200 for the nutritionist's fee, $150 for the psychologist's assessment, $200 for pre-op diet products, and about $50 for meds. Then afterwards, you will be on a regular regimine of vitamin supplements. However, I don't feel the pinch of that because my food costs are now lowered. LOL! And of course in time, you will need money for you new wardrobe! (Nobody seems to mind that part.)

Good luck making your decision!

Tanya

notoriousgrannyD
on 4/27/11 1:35 am
VSG on 10/16/12
Thanks so much for the welcome and the answers.  I did not know about the extra charges for  nutritionalists, psych, etc.  so that is good to hear.  I am also thrilled that the wait time isn't 3-5 years (I had read that in an older post) so now I am really excited!  I have a whole wardrobe that is many sizes (most still with tags on cuz I was totally going to diet into them? lol)

I feel like I have turned some kind of a corner ...... life already seems brighter! lol (maybe the nice sunny day - finally!) lol

thanks again everyone
Mishyme
on 4/27/11 10:22 am
FYI, The fee for the Nutritionist will most likely be increased.......she is self-employed.

Stats: HW 311 lbs in Aug 2010, VSG on 10/19/2010, Surgeons goal 208lbs, My Goal 175lbs or less Current 193lbs
notoriousgrannyD
on 4/27/11 11:42 am
VSG on 10/16/12
Do we have to see a certain nutritionalist or can we see one in our own community.  I live 7 hrs from Wpg so it is at least a 2 day trip.

NGD 
. Surgery date OCTOBER 16th    
Michelle_2975
on 4/27/11 12:32 pm - Canada
Welcome to the board.

You have to see their dietician.
I got the RNY. I love it and if I got the VSG I would have loved it too. I am just happy that I got WLS. I would have gotten it done anyway that they were offering it unless it was the band.

If you have to stay at a hotel when coming into town ask the hotels if they have a medical rate. Most do, all you have to do is ask

Mich
Most Active