Nutrionist holding up surgery times????

Mishyme
on 6/17/11 9:34 am
I do beleive that we should be allowed to consult a nut/dietician that is register with the province.  The information package that we get (I found was uninformative and very vague). This forum has more information/food ideas etc...

Perhaps we should draft a letter to the St. Boniface Surgical Group and let them know how we are feeling.  (They probably read here too).  If the program is delayed due to one person and their schedule is not suffient to accomidate the demand for the surgeries....then HIRE someone to assist with the LOAD.  The time frame needs to be shorten up!!

Now that I have vented, I feel terrible for you ladies that are in the cue and stuck waiting. 

Me
Stats: HW 311 lbs in Aug 2010, VSG on 10/19/2010, Surgeons goal 208lbs, My Goal 175lbs or less Current 193lbs
TotalKa_os
on 6/17/11 11:15 am - Canada
I completely agree with you...it seems silly that after months of waiting, that's the reason for another delay.
After speaking with Dr. Vergis about this, he felt so badly and he indicated that they were really trying to bring another one on board...but that it was the province not fully supporting the program that was hindering the hiring of another dietician (which I didn't completely understand because we pay for our own visits so it shouldn't cost them a whole lot). But I guess some resources are needing for training them, as it's a "sub-specialty"..which is why we couldn't go to just any dietician (according to Dr. V). 
He said it was "in the works" but not to get my hopes up. He said Laura was really busy with her own practice and her family.
I'll keep you posted. I have my other appointments booked for the first week in July.
Good idea though...we should all send in some kind of letter but I'm not sure it will help that much as they do seem aware of the issue.
nervous
on 6/17/11 11:28 am - Canada
 Hello  I totally agree I had my surgery May 16 and don,t have my appt, till july 15    I am struggling with my food and water intake and am uncertain as to what I am actually doing at times I will need to rely on you wonderful ladies I have been reading this for awhile now and the support and advice you all give is Wonderful ! What a great bunch you all are . I did see the Nut. in Jan, only to have my surgery cancelled to May so it has been some time .  It was cancelled due to previous lap band complications done in 2009 and scare tissue they wanted to wait a little longer since they would be going back into the same area '  After my RNY they told me to book  laura i n 4 weeks but the soonest I could get was 8 weeks . which is bad for me as we booked a cottage that week and it means driving in 2 hrs for a Nut. appt.  they said shes only in 2 days aweek which is terrible with so many of us now .
Sista10
on 6/17/11 12:52 pm - Winnipeg, Canada
Welcome to the form Nervous.

I agree with all of you. I need the help now and I can't get in to see her till the middle of August.

So I am very thankful for you guys because I would be lost.

Shan
fullohope
on 6/17/11 1:13 pm
I know it is frustrating waiting for nut appointment - and having surgery prolonged. It is happening to me right now as welll.
The entire team is really doing their best though. They are working with no funding at all form Manitoba Health, therefore they have no perks -such as space, enough employees (from nutritionists to receptionists). The Victoria Hospital is funding this pilot project. We all  need to be writing Theresa Oswald MLA. I already have, but the more of us  that write to c/o of no funding for this program the better.
I was really hoping to have surgery soon, but have to wait,but being in the healthcare field Iunderstand the lack of funding/ support they are dealing with.
The nutritionists workload is increasing everytime a person has surgery.
As well, there are hardly any nutritionists in the city with training in bariatrics so there is not a large pool of dieticians with bariatric knowledge to draw from.

On the good side, we actually get to have the surgery here in our own city and have 4 awesome surgeons and a team that really cares about the patients!
I feel bad for you that you are struggling with your food and water intake- I can't imaginge, I haven't had my surgery yet, but I am sure that is frustrating and difficult.  Did you mention this to Andrea? Maybe she could ask Laura if she could call you to discuss on the phone. I am not sure if she would do that...

Michelle_2975
on 6/17/11 1:17 pm - Canada
I wish they'd hire Shannon Carpenter or at least be able to refer people to her. She is full of ideas for diet when I go visit her.
(deactivated member)
on 6/17/11 1:31 pm
does anyone know if we can see the NUT that visits you in the hospital.i am also struggling with fluid intake and food.
the worst part is that laura is not registered in manitoba so my insurance wont cover her visits. i managed to get an appointment for middle of july to see her
notoriousgrannyD
on 6/17/11 2:33 pm
VSG on 10/16/12
So if we are the ones paying her, then her services can't be coming out of the budget.   If there is no crunch on on the budget for the program, then why can't we have a little list of NUTs to choose from.  You would think we would be a NUT's dream job - total success!  I can't believe they would have trouble finding some more NUTs that would be interested...

NGD
cedarstar
on 6/25/11 12:36 pm - Manitoba, Canada
 I think it is also unfair that the lack of available appts with Laura is holding up surgery dates. My original date to see Laura was August 3rd. I was able to get that moved to July 14th but because I am having the RNY and not the sleeve I still cannot get a surgery date before Sept. I'm still hoping and praying for something earlier. I had asked if we could see another nut and was told no. Dr. Vergis did say they were trying to get Laura in for more days and possibly looking at hiring another. It's frustrating for all of us but I am still so happy that this surgery is offered in Manitoba. 

hw-251

sw-225

surgeon's goal-170

my goal-135

Most Active