My Update - Finally

kaskelkenz
on 3/3/12 9:23 am - Canada
Hi everyone.  I am finally able to give you an update on my surgery.  I was home Tuesday night from the hospital but have been in ROUGH shape.  So, I have not been well enough to give an update until today.  I was in alot of pain and discomfort.

I am confused about how much and what liquids I am suppose to be having.  I get this wicked pain at the top of my rib cage sometimes when I take in fluids.  Dr Vergis did say I would experience some pain there, for a couple of days after the surgery, because of the retractor that holds your liver back during the surgery.  But, I don't think that is what the pain is from, only because it seems to become more painful when I take in fluids.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Can anyone share with me their experience the first week after their RNY surgery?  Also, I know this is kinda personal but can anyone tell me how long after sugery they had their first bowel movement?  It has been five days and nothing....just .wondering if I should be concerned??

If anyone says this surgery is the "easy way out" of weiight loss, they are ignorant and uneducated!!!  This is by far the HARDEST thing I have ever had to go through.  It takes a very strong and courageous person to go through this process.  So please, DO NOT listen to the ignorant and uneducated people of this world.  Be proud you have made the courageous decision to change your life.

Although it has been a bumpy ride, I am grateful and overjoyed to have been given this second chance at life.  My heart goes out to all the people who have been rejected by this program.  I continue to hope and pray the Manitoba Government will open up the criteria and those on the "wait list" will be given the first opportunity at the surgery.  After all, not only have they waited "their turn" but they had to go through the disappointment of rejection that those of us who were not rejected didn't have to go through.  For those people who are continually complaining about the wait time for surgery, you should just be grateful you were accepted to the program as there are MANY people who were not accepted, for various reasons.  You really need to take all of that negative energy and invest it into something positive.  You will enjoy life much more when you do.  

Mrs.Jackatar
on 3/3/12 10:30 am - Pine Falls, Canada
The pain you are experiencing is to be expected.  I had that feeling for about a month post op.  It will go away.  Just think about what has been done in there.  Your new tummy is learning how to accomadate/digest all over again.  The BM too will come.  You have not had solid food in three - four weeks.  Also, you most likely have been put on pain meds, which are constipating.  You sound like you are on track, my dear.  Rest and don't expect too much too fast.  Word of advice!  Do not weigh yourself for at least a month.  Save yourself EXTREME disappointment.  It takes time to loose the water weight (IV fluids etc) and for protein to shift the fluids out.  I learned the hard way.  I still do not weigh myself.  I know how I feel and how my clothes fit.  Size 26 then, to a size 10!  Life is good, life is good!  Take Care of yourself.

Sherry
HW 300 CW 294 DAY OF SURG WEIGHT 267 Height  5'2.5
NUT Goal 180   My Goal  150

Madelaine2000
on 3/3/12 10:42 am
Sorry things have been tough but at least you have support here to help you through it. Just being able to bounce things off others who have walked in those shoes must be a relief. Just wanted to wish you comfort as you heal..
justlori
on 3/3/12 11:46 pm - Winnipeg, Canada
VSG on 02/21/12
Although I had the VSG, I experienced what sounds like the same pain for the first 48 hours or so after surgery.  Dr. Andrew assured me it would go away within days and it did.   As for constipation, I used Benefibre immediatley when I got home from the hospital, and I haven''t had a problem in that department.   I also think it's almost impossible to get the required protein in once getting home, it's something we have to work up to, but try get as much as you can.   I also have water within arms reach of me at all times, constantly sipping to avoid dehydration.   That was one of my biggest concerns after surgery and it helps with constipation and weight loss.   Hopefully you will start to feel better soon.   I'm 12 days out and I feel fantastic.  

It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves. Edmund Hillary
HW 282  CW 229  Height 5'9"  NUT Goal: 195-199  My Goal: 175

justmest
on 3/5/12 6:13 am - Canada
VSG on 05/21/12
It's not productive to tell people how to feel about their personal situation. 

I wish you well in your recovery
Used2Bthin
on 3/5/12 10:33 pm - Canada
I would try drinking smaller amounts just more frequently.  Small sips, small sips, is what I would have to have running through my head.  I am 10 months out and I still only take small sips,lol.  For me I have variations of pain through out at least the first 6 weeks but a friend who had hers the same day was out raking leaves the following week so we are all a bit different.  I was really worried about the bowel thing myself.  I went almost 3 weeks with nothing.  My doctor said it was normal because I was eating such a low volume of food that I just was not making any poop!  After the first time I still was only going one time a week and again I was told not to take anything unless I was feeling pain because I just was not producing "waste".  I still only go 2 or 3 times a week in a good week and I have not had any ill effects from that.  I worried alot in the beggining about it but eventually it all worked itself out.  If you want to check out my blog, I have not updated it in forever but I was pretty good putting in info about my story for the first few weeks.  Might be helpful for you.  Good luck and trust me a year from now these first few weeks will seam like no big deal.  I am so happy I made the decision to do this and I hope a year from know so will you.  Welcome to the loosers bench, have a seat!
     Dr. Nohr in Medicine Hat.  Open RNY March 28 2011.  Start weight 253 current weight 122.       
kaskelkenz
on 3/6/12 5:00 am - Canada
Oh ladies, thank you so much for sharing your experiences.  It truly has been EXTREMELY helpful.  I am feeling a bit better this week.  Still that strange pain at the top of my rib cage but I understand it is all to be expected.  After all, I do have a new stomach (hee,hee).  So, so, so grateful I have you guys to help me through this journey.

Remember everyone, keep positive and productive.
cedarstar
on 3/6/12 6:01 am - Manitoba, Canada
At 6 months out oh how I still remember the pain of those first days. I didn't have a BM for well over a week or more, probably closer to two. I can say that with that first BM went my pain. I was so full of gas and I think that was a huge release. Rest, walk and sip, those are the most important things right now. You've been through a major surgery and are about to embark on a whole new way of eating. As soon as your swelling goes down it will be much easier to drink and eat. It only took me a couple of weeks before I was able to "guzzle" a glass of water back. Listen to your body because it will tell you when it's ready to move to a new step. Good Luck! 

hw-251

sw-225

surgeon's goal-170

my goal-135

Most Active