I've Joined The Club!!

bdreger
on 4/24/12 12:55 am
Officially on the list - - got referred yesterday by my GP.  He says he has one other patient who has done this - - one of the first to get in here in Manitoba - - and she has done very well.  Anyways, I had been expecting he might try to talk me out of it or suggest other alternatives, but he was quick to oblige me in my wishes so I was thankful for that.  Blood work scheduled for Monday at our local clinic as I haven't had my blood sugar and cholesteral etc. checked since 2010. 

He also mentioned that the criteria was set so that high risk surgery patients wouldn't be admitted, as they were being very cautious when they started this program and wanted to make sure they got off on the right foot.  However, the fact that they are talking about opening up the criteria suggests they have become more confident in the procedures etc.

But for the restrictive criteria he thinks I will be a good candidate as I don't have high blood pressure, my BMI is 41 and I'm not on any medications, so I shouldn't be a high surgery risk.

I wonder how much these types of factors (comorbidity) play into where you get jostled to on the list?

Step One: Referral Letter:  April 23/12      Step Two:Acceptance Letter: May 24/12   Step Three:  3 Hour Info Session on May 22/13 

(deactivated member)
on 4/24/12 1:44 am
way to go.hope you join us on the losers bench soon
Madelaine2000
on 4/24/12 4:38 am
Thats awesome..yah for you! Actually from what I have learned on here, the program in Winnipeg is a learning program so these doctors have only done about 100 surgeries between the four of them. They are looking for the healthiest overweight people for this program..the one you have wrong with you the less likely you would be a candidate. So hurray for being so healthy! Anyone that knows nore than this or correct me if I am worng, please jump in.

Referred Dec/2011
Acceptance letter Jan 24/12
VSG MAY 22 DR. PONCE DE LEON MEXICO
7.5 months - 70 pounds!!!

Most Active