Worried

1crazy_cat_lady
on 9/10/12 9:59 pm - Winnipeg, Canada
So I'm doing the Weight Wise program in Edmonton.  There was a lady who posted on the Aberta board that she gained a kg between appointments and it was turned into a huge deal by the program.  I'm up 10 pounds since early July.  I know what "the problem" is but unfortunately the sugar addiction has come back and I'm having a hard time kicking it.

Also, look at Nikki and Alvina.  Life threatening complications.  I know that there are serious risk associated with this surgery and should never be taken lightly but actually knowing 2 people that had complications scares me.

Since sitting down and having a good cry won't solve anything.....any suggestions?

HW: 361  CW: 337.8  Goal:  To come off most of my meds

BeginsToday
on 9/11/12 6:06 am
I know how you feel, as I am still in the process of filling out the paperwork for surgery in Mexico and I seem to be dragging my feet. One of the reasons is because having the surgery is not the "normal" path the general public take to weight loss. But then again, I know that I don't have a normal weight loss problem.

It is hard to turn to the surgery when you know of two people who had complications, but I know I can name many people who have had heart attacks, suffer from diabetes all because of the weight problem. Just reading the reasons for cause of death in the obituaries can be a sobering eye opener.

Think about five or ten years from  now and what you want your life picture to be and how is the best way to get there. I believe that surgery is what I need to help make it to my future. Imagine - moving with less pain, enjoying a hot relaxing bath or shopping in any clothing store you want... But really, I just want to still BE here in five years.

Hope we both make it to the loser's bench.
BeginsToday
justlori
on 9/11/12 7:26 am - Winnipeg, Canada
VSG on 02/21/12
Although my surgery was free of any complications, I have met a few women at the meet and greets who've had a multitude of problems afterwards and many were life threatening.  The one question I always ask them is if they had to do it again, would they?  The answer is always a definite YES!   Be brave and stay positive.  It will be worth it in the end. 

It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves. Edmund Hillary
HW 282  CW 229  Height 5'9"  NUT Goal: 195-199  My Goal: 175

1crazy_cat_lady
on 9/11/12 8:08 am - Winnipeg, Canada
I appreciate the feedback ladies. If I were to continue to gain, my quality of life would be minimal if I were here at all in 10 yrs. I personally believe the devil is trying to deter me. I will keep plugging forward.
Michelle_2975
on 9/11/12 9:28 am - Canada
I didn't have complication but even if I did I would do this surgery again in a heart beat.
Diane G.
on 9/11/12 10:11 am - winnipeg, Canada
Hi,
I am 4 years out from surgery and have NO regrets... have kept over 100 lbs off and the best decision ever!
Diane
BeginsToday
on 9/11/12 10:35 am
Hi Diane,

I just looked over your pictures, very inspiring.

I know the surgery is just one tool on the list to a healthy weight and lifestyle, but what helps you make better choices after the surgery that can't be made now? I read of people feeling full, lousy, in pain if they eat too much with the smaller stomach (sleeve) and that helps them stay away from some foods, but I feel like crap everytime I eat too much or the wrong things so I am worried that I will not be successful.

What is a typical day's meal look like for you? Do you just eat like a normal healthy person would, 80/20?

Thanks for the help,
BeginsToday
Diane G.
on 9/11/12 2:21 pm - winnipeg, Canada
Hello,
Thanks for the kind words.  I put up my pictures as I know when I was post-op I looked at other members sites for inspiration and that helped me, as I did not know anyone who went through WLS.  As you mentioned, this surgery is a tool only..... I really eat a high protein diet, veggies and lots of fruits, very low carbs (low sugar).  My meals are probably 3/4 protein - I eat all kinds of meat (no skin), fish, low fat cheeses, yogurt and normal amounts.  Then veggies and fruits.  I honestly do not eat a lot of carbs... no bread, no rice, very little pasta.  But I eat frequently, my main meals 3 x a day & snacks every 2 hours (cheese, yogurt, fruit, peanuts/nuts).  I really stay away from desserts, etc.  My family, friends, co-workers are great, if they bring in cake,  etc they always have fruits/cheese to serve as well.  I never feel left out. That is the plan I follow.  It is probably easier to stay away from "trigger" foods for me but others can do it.  Really, if you read up on proteins, they "satisfied" just like some other types of food (chocolate, etc). My husband, who is diabetic, is following my food plan as he is trying to lose weight (this could be almost a diabetic plan, low carb/low sugar).  Hope that helps, message me if you would like to ask more questions, and if I can help in any way.
Diane
Most Active