Day 7 of pre-op diet

losingforlife
on 11/18/12 10:07 pm - Canada

Update on me.  I am finding it easier and I'm not hungry, grouchy or tired.  I expected all of these symptoms!  I am cold though.  I usually never have to wear a sweater but I'm doing that and wrapping up in a blanket when watching TV. I'm posting this so others who will be going into their pre-op diets soon will know it's not horrible!  At pre-op education, Jillian said it would be torture!  I think if I was going to be hungry, I would be by now!  Sure, I would like to eat something but that's more out of habit and I'm changing my habits to get healthier!

I had a strange dream where I was serving bacon to people and suddenly realized I had a piece in my mouth! I hadn't chewed it yet and I had to find a place to spit it out!!   lol  I woke up laughing!  Cheers!

alle
on 11/18/12 10:27 pm
RNY on 05/15/12

Thanks for posting your experience.  Mine was very similar, I liked my pre op shakes made with lots of ice and spent a lot of time wrapped in a blanket too.  Post op the coldness continued for me.  Now it's mostly after supper that I am very cold then by about 2 am my night sweats start but that is menopause related.  I find I am wearing a sweater over a light blouse most days now but again I am hot in spurts and then cold the rest of the time.  Good luck next week!  Did you enjoy the book?

Referred March 2/11,  Group Orientation Nov. 4 /11, Surgery date May 15/12  RNY    
losingforlife
on 11/19/12 9:54 pm - Canada

I am enjoying the book!  I haven't finished reading it yet.  Thanks for lending it to me!

justlori
on 11/18/12 11:12 pm - Winnipeg, Canada
VSG on 02/21/12

Who's Jillian?  And why is she telling patients it's torture?  Has she been on the 2-week liquid diet herself?  From my experience it was far from pleasant but there were only a few times at the start where I found myself quite hungry.  After day 3 or so it became much easier.  I certainly agree with you  when you say the urge to eat is more out of habit than actual hunger. 

It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves. Edmund Hillary
HW 282  CW 229  Height 5'9"  NUT Goal: 195-199  My Goal: 175

losingforlife
on 11/19/12 9:56 pm - Canada

Jillian is one of the dietitians and I don't believe she has ever had to do 2 week liquid diet!  Maybe one of her patients told her that and she just goes with that! Silly!

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/12 12:09 am

i agree with just lori.how can someone comment on the diet if they have never done it.mine was different than yours but the result was the same.i did not feel hungry after the first few days.as for the cold get used to it.i am almost 18 mths out and am still freezing most of the time.

what i tell all pre-ops is this is the start of your new life and it will get easier as you move further down your journey.

i found that this was easier than some of the fad diets we all have tried in the past with little or no success.

congrats on making it through your first week of the diet and we will be waiting for you on the losers bench.keep us posted on your progress and how you are feeling

sondra

losingforlife
on 11/19/12 9:58 pm - Canada

Thanks Sondra.  And you are right! It is much easier than some fad diets I tried too!

Dianne C.
on 11/19/12 3:39 am - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12

I agree on the comments about always being cold. I didn't notice that I was cold when during the 4 months I was losing weight before surgery, but I sure notice it now. I first noticed it the day after my surgery, actually. I used to be hot all the time and couldn't even imagine wearing a sweater or a jacket at work. Now I always have to wear a jacket or sweater and I have a heater at my desk to boot! I suspect this isn't going away.  As someone said, they are 18 months out and still cold. 

It's totally not helpful for someone to tell anybody that the preop diet would be torture. Nothing like getting people apprehensive about something and dreading it! Someone needs a little education on their education skills!

Dianne           
HW 270 (Sept 2011); surgery weight 236 (Feb 6, 2012); current 167 (103 lb lost); goal set by nutritionist 148 (ha ha!!). Vertical sleeve gastrectomy at Obesity Control Center (Dr. Ariel Ortiz), Tijuana, MX. Self-pay, self-referral, 4-week wait. Abdominoplasty Aug 10, 2013 (Dr. K. Dolynchuk, Winnipeg - self-pay)

Most Active