Someone told me...

TJLJ
on 12/5/12 1:33 pm - winnipeg, Canada
I mentioned to a co worker that I am considering gastric bypass. His answer was. 'just put a padlock on your fridge ' I was sooooo mad! How dare he say that? I don't binge. And even if I did, what nerve!

What do you say to something like that???

Ref letter Nov 11, group session Dec 12/12,   RNY - April 30/13

amyred27
on 12/5/12 11:28 pm

People can be so ignorant some days.

Please don't let his negativity get you down!!

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/12 11:59 pm

i would educate him on the bnifits of the wls,and the fact that you will be healthier and more active.I have found that people have the stereo typical idea about wls and they have no clue really about it.i am 16 mths out and i have never had to "lock my fridge"it is always a choice what you eat post op.i could eat a doughnut or what ever but i choose to eat healthy and according to my plan.every once in awhile i do spurge and have a sugar free chocolate but not very often as its a slippery slope.

please do not let his negitive comments get you down. always look to the positives they far out weigh the negitives

sondra

Kokonut
on 12/6/12 1:19 am

I would have said this " GET IN THE FRIDGE, I've got my padlock ready!" Those of you who have met me, know I am not joking..LOL

I told almost no one about my surgery, I don't have to defend, explain or excuse anything else I do..why is this anyones business? Pfft!

I have used "would you tell a cancer patient to NOT get treatment?" Or someone to not take vital meds?..this surgery is ONLY A TOOL.

Highest Weight Ever:312 StartW:272 CW:164 SW:253 GW:180  Height 5'10"

Angie_77
on 12/6/12 6:26 am - Canada

I told one co-worker, who I can trust with keeping it secret, and haven't quite decided if I am going to tell anyone else there.  I went to the washroom today which is shared with other offices on our floor and there were 2 women standing in there talking about how someone in their office is considering bypass surgery and once they saw me they just whispered and I couldn't't hear them but it was definite gossip whispering.  I don't know which office they work for but not mine, it makes me think that I don't want to tell anyone I don't need people making judgments against me, although I'm sure they will or already do anyway.  I wish I knew who she was though, it would be nice to have someone to talk to about it with at work, in the hallway, at breaks, etc..

tiffany07
on 12/6/12 2:47 pm - Canada

theres always going to be negative people...pre and post op unfortunately. i had a girl at work tell someone all i do is eat fast food...umm shes never seen me eat lunch before and the girls that do always comment on how healthy and tiny my portions are...people are just so jealous and cant stand to see others happy. keep your head high the people that make you feel bad dont  matter and the people that support you are the ones that will shine in your life while youre going through huge changes.. i still dont know where she gets the fast food from but by all means if people think im getting tiny by fast food let them! i know whats going in to my body and thats all that matters!

Referall sent out June 2011, Group Meeting Dec 2,2011, Dr Andrew Jan 25,2012, Psych Evaluation March 1st,2012, Dietician April 12,2012Surgery June 26,2012!!  Nutritionist Goal reached 6 months post op!! SW 247 

TJLJ
on 12/9/12 1:23 pm - winnipeg, Canada
Thank you sooooo much for the encouragement!!!! Much nicer than the answer I was going to give. It involves a few, not so lady like words.

Ref letter Nov 11, group session Dec 12/12,   RNY - April 30/13

Michelle_2975
on 12/11/12 9:26 am - Canada

I'd tell him to f*&k off  :D

Most Active