Scared...

fiddlechickpatti
on 3/18/13 11:31 am - Winnipeg, Canada
VSG on 01/16/13

Hi,

I'm 2 months post op and I'm feeling a little scared about food.  I am thinking about it WAY too much and am afraid I'm eating too much.  My weight loss seems to have stalled between 55 and 60 pounds even though I'm now adding exercise.  I'm going to start journaling all of my food, but is it normal to feel this immense guilt and fear after eating something, even though it's still it tiny amounts?

I find that I'm eating too fast and it gets painful all of a sudden.  I try to chew chew and chew some more, but don't always do so great.  I'm terrified that I'm going to start gaining and go back up to my original weight.  

Anyone else experience this?

Patti

VSG done with Dr. Ariel Ortiz, Tijuana, MX on Jan. 16, 2013.  Starting weight 301.  Lost 24 pounds pre-op.  Check out my blog here:  ChubbyU

BCwaiting
on 3/18/13 12:04 pm - Canada
Yes, I was eating 900 to 1000 calories by 3 months. I thought that was a lot, but according to the dietitians, you should not eat less than 1200.. If you are not up to 1200 yet, it will naturally come. so as long as those calories are healthy choices ( veg, protein and fruits with as small amount of carbs to keep everything balanced, you will still loose weight and keep healthy . Because you eat more and more each week, try to stay away from the temptations as they come back too and way too easily. Keep a ournal for sure Asti is so easy to eat junk and you have no idea how many calories you are eating. If you eat crap, the calories will be high and you have hardly eaten anything and that is when the weight loss will slow down. That is where I am now at 10 months out. I eat quite healthy, but have my nightly temptations which I cave in to, so I try to limit them by only taking a handful of nuts in a small dish, and put the bag away. I am still loosing very, very slowly ( maybe a half a pound a week only now> but then, I only have 10 more pounds to goal 125 pounds ( 5 ft 1 inch) which I have not weighed since I was like 12 years old!But I am happy with that even ifit takes me another 5 months!This is so weird being so small! Don't fret, it will happen naturally. See you at the meet and greet on Saturday maybe. barb C, BCwaiting
Dianne C.
on 3/18/13 1:02 pm - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12

Hi Patti

We've all had stalls. Just give it some time and you'll start to lose again. It happens several times through the journey.

I don't feel guilty about eating anything, but that's just me! I decided right at the beginning this is a tool for me and not the other way around. I am not going to be a slave to eating "perfectly" all the time. The VSG limits how much of anything I can eat.

Fortunately for me I've always been a very slow eater (just ask Joanne!).  I still sometimes get to the point of eating too much without realizing it. You will be able to judge better as time goes on. Try eating a small amount and stopping for a few minutes before you try eating more to give your stomach time to let you know it's had enough. 

Dianne           
HW 270 (Sept 2011); surgery weight 236 (Feb 6, 2012); current 167 (103 lb lost); goal set by nutritionist 148 (ha ha!!). Vertical sleeve gastrectomy at Obesity Control Center (Dr. Ariel Ortiz), Tijuana, MX. Self-pay, self-referral, 4-week wait. Abdominoplasty Aug 10, 2013 (Dr. K. Dolynchuk, Winnipeg - self-pay)

BeginsToday
on 3/19/13 2:19 am, edited 3/19/13 2:24 am

Hi Patti,

I agree that one can spend a great deal of time thinking about food. For me I find going on My Fitness Pal and journaling everything I eat really helps me take the focus away from the food because once it is written down, I can forget about it. I also try to not lament on having eating something that I shouldn't have, tomorrow is a new day to try again. A big help for me is only weighing myself once a week, I am not reminded each day of potential ups and downs.

I know that the first 6 months is optimum losing time, but I feel that it will continue as long as I keep to the guidelines, protein first(100g), low carbs (< 30g) and 800-900 calories, the journey will continue. I used to follow the VSG surgical forum but found some of the opinions too rigid for me to adopt.

I worry too about regaining the weight I have lost, but I pray that this tool with the help of the other (exercise, meal planning, stress management etc.), will help me keep motivated. One chew at a time keeps us on the way to our goal! Take Care.

Angie_77
on 3/21/13 5:16 am - Canada

The guidelines do not say to stay or go to 800-900 calories.  They want everyone to be eating healthy and properly.  Too little calories after you have already been out for a few months do not help long term.   I agree with the poster who said that if you have problems and start to regain contact the clinic to discuss your calories, do NOT just eat very little.

Referral Nov 2011, Group Meeting Nov 2012, Surgeons  Nov 2012, Team Meetings Dec 2012, Craving Change program Dec 2012. Surgery Date Feb 2013 

losingforlife
on 3/20/13 10:32 pm - Canada

Everyone here is giving great, positive advise!  Just remember that you can call the clinic and speak to the dietitian or the psycologist when you feel you need to!  Sometimes that will be helpful.  You have to find out exactly how many grams of protein and calories for YOU.  And that is different for different body types.

Mrs.Jackatar
on 3/29/13 12:52 pm - Pine Falls, Canada

You are not alone. We all have had this fear in some point. I am sure the guilt is part of any addiction. It gets easier. Don't beat yourself up. It is a process. It will take time for our "wiring" in our brain to reformat to a newer lifestyle. Everyone has different experiences, so do not compare your rate of weight loss. Focus on balance and health, nothing more, nothing less. I promise you will find your way. 

Be kind to yourself my friend! 

Sherry D.

Sherry
HW 300 CW 294 DAY OF SURG WEIGHT 267 Height  5'2.5
NUT Goal 180   My Goal  150

Most Active