Devestated

1crazy_cat_lady
on 8/28/13 5:26 am - Winnipeg, Canada

I received a letter in the mail today say that I am discharged from the Edmonton bariatric program I have been attending for a year due to lack of communication.  I had flown out of province 3 times in the last year to meet with the program at great expense and actually have appointments scheduled for the end of September but apparently it was not enough.  Of course I pick up my mail on the way to work and think this letter is about my next appointments.  Wrong.  Now I'm sitting in my office at Mental Health part numb and part trying to keep from crying.  I sent out a mass text (5 people) who are my family requesting prayer support.

There are a number of you here that have always reached out to me when I'm down and I appreciate you SO MUCH.  With the expanded criteria here I  may now qualify but my last year of hard work seems like it was for nothing and I'm stuck way back at the beginning, maybe that is God's plan, I don't know.

So I just ask for prayers or chicken swinging if you're not the praying type.  Thank you.

HW: 361  CW: 337.8  Goal:  To come off most of my meds

rainyone
on 8/28/13 5:43 am - Canada
VSG on 04/03/12

Can you contact them and ask about being admitted back to the program. Explain that you have this appointment scheduled  , the work you have been doing etc...

This seems so wrong, on so many levels

Hugs

HW 295 lbs,CW 195, nuts goal-210, my goal 175 surgery date April 3 in Tijuana with Dr Ponce De Leon      

Karenerickson
on 8/28/13 7:23 am - Portage La Prairie, Canada

Wow, that is tough. I agree, try contacting them or get your family Dr to plead your case and see if they will readmit you.

And if they don't, apply here and don't look at it as starting from the beginning, because you have learned alot in your journey that will only help if they accept you here.

I waited 3 years to get into the program until the criteria expanded and I still get upset when I see people who have been in the program for a year and a half already having surgery before me, but I know it won't be long and it's my turn...

I hope you will let us know what happens, and good luck!

Karen

Dianne C.
on 8/28/13 8:30 am - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12

I would definitely contact them and find out why they discharged you when you have appointments scheduled in just a few weeks. Maybe someone made a mistake. I wouldn't let this go without questioning them. Good luck!!! 

Dianne           
HW 270 (Sept 2011); surgery weight 236 (Feb 6, 2012); current 167 (103 lb lost); goal set by nutritionist 148 (ha ha!!). Vertical sleeve gastrectomy at Obesity Control Center (Dr. Ariel Ortiz), Tijuana, MX. Self-pay, self-referral, 4-week wait. Abdominoplasty Aug 10, 2013 (Dr. K. Dolynchuk, Winnipeg - self-pay)

33w33w
on 8/28/13 10:53 am

I agree don't let it go without a fight!   At least make them tell you the reason why.   If you still get stone walled, then certainly apply here.....Your doc should be able to tell you what the criteria has been expanded to, I've only seen the original criteria which was fairly narrow.   Anyone out there know what the current criteria is?

(deactivated member)
on 8/28/13 11:45 am

if you look in past posts. maybe couple pages i posted latest requirements that the clinic had given me

33w33w
on 8/28/13 12:28 pm

here is a copy of the guidelines for your doctor .these are the requirements to be accepted into program

Dear Physician:
As per your inquiry, the following information pertains to the Centre for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Program guidelines.
Inclusion criteria: Male or female age 18-55 years BMI between 40 - 47.9
or BMI greater than 35 with obesity-related complications
and Failure of diet and exercise Compliant patient with regards to: follow-up, diet, exercise and behavior modification
We are accepting referrals for those with a BMI greater than 48 and age up to 65. These candidates will be placed on our wait list for when our criteria expands.
Contraindications include: Noncompliance with follow-up, diet, exercise and behavior modifications Immobility Untreated or unmanaged psychiatric/eating disorder Untreated or unmanaged substance abuse Severe medical problems (e.g.- ischemic heart disease or pulmonary hypertension) Age greater than 65 Smoking (must be smoke free for 6 months before being considered for program)
Patients who meet the inclusion criteria are notified by our office and invited to attend a mandatory information session. The referring physician will also receive a letter of correspondence regarding the referral.
If your patient does not meet our criteria, you may submit a request to an out-of-province bariatric surgery program. Please contact MB Health: Out of Province Claims Division for more information.
If you have any further questions please call (204) 477-3540.
Thank-you for your cooperation,
The Centre for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Team

i hope this helps everyone who are exploring wls in manitoba

sondra

33w33w
on 8/28/13 12:29 pm

I copied and pasted this from an earlier post by Newfie, hope she's okay with that!

(deactivated member)
on 8/28/13 11:01 pm

oh im sooooo sorry they did this to you.i know how much you wantedthis and were looking forward to having the surgery.i would call them back and tell them that you have your appts booked and want to be placed back in the program.explain to them what you have done to get this far.

i would fight to be back in the program.

message me if you want to talk privately or get together to talk.

i will be thinking about you alot.please keep us posted and we are all thinking about you.

hugs and swinging chickens

sondra aka newfie

Alvina300
on 8/29/13 3:28 am - Canada

Hi there

Sorry to hear that, I agree I would call and see why and if they will reconsider your case.  I believe things happen for a reason and keep praying for guidance and He will take care of you. 

Take care

Alvina

Most Active