Cheating while on boost

pegcitygrl
on 9/1/13 6:06 am - Winnipeg, Canada

I have a co-worker who just told me about her WLS experience.  She said even though she was supposed to drink 5 bottles of boost a day she still ate food every few days and she was fine.  WTF??? 
And she said that her surgery went fine and there isnt any need for the 2 weeks of boost???!!! anyone else know someone that did this?

TeashaLorna
on 9/1/13 9:36 am - Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada

I know of someone who did that and a year and four months out from surgery she is now gaining weight. It is about mind set and wanting to change your life and doing whatever it takes. Not about if you can get away with something or not. That is my old way of thinking (I can get away with things cheating etc).

Dr Ponce de Leon Mexico     VSG 4 Jun 12. I lost 57 lbs on my own before having a VSG. This is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself.

TammaT
on 9/1/13 10:48 am - Canada

I'm with Teasha on this one....why would you sabotage yourself from the onset? Why risk it and have the Dr's open you up, see that your liver hasn't shrunk enough for them, close you back up and you awake from surgery with nothing!! Is it worth it? Hell no!! There is a reason we go through all of this pre-surgery...mind set and getting used to watching what we eat, etc. 

Those two weeks were no picnic for me and it was hard....but I'd do it all again in a heartbeat to be where I am today!

Good luck to you!!

Referral Oct 31/2011. Group Session May 4/2012. Surgeon Consult Sept 26th, 2012. Surgery Nov 13, 2012. VSG - Dr. C. Andrew, Victoria Hospital. Nut goal 170lbs, personal goal 150lbs. 

pegcitygrl
on 9/1/13 12:33 pm - Winnipeg, Canada

Apparently she didnt have any issues with her surgery.   Just makes me wonder about the whole 2 weeks. And I agree. Do what the doctor tells you

33w33w
on 9/1/13 2:29 pm

I agree!  By "cheating"  you're only fooling yourself.  You need to get out of the mindset that this cookie, muffin, extra whatever won't hurt as we all know it all catches up with us sooner or later,   One of the things we have to change is how we think about food.

Dianne C.
on 9/2/13 12:27 am - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12

The facility where I had surgery in Tijuana allowed an evening meal on the two week preop diet, up until two days before surgery, when it was liquids only. The meal could include all the plain green veggies you wanted plus I think mushrooms (which have no calories anyway) and tomatoes (no butter or dressing), along with 4 oz of chicken or fish, steamed or baked (plain, no sauces, coating, etc.). If I recall correctly from what I've read on this forum, I believe the Manitoba program allowed salad at the very beginning also. The calories in the meal of veggies & protein were no more than what a protein shake would contain and this was much, much easier to follow than not being allowed to eat any food for two full weeks. Every program seems to have different criteria.

Dianne           
HW 270 (Sept 2011); surgery weight 236 (Feb 6, 2012); current 167 (103 lb lost); goal set by nutritionist 148 (ha ha!!). Vertical sleeve gastrectomy at Obesity Control Center (Dr. Ariel Ortiz), Tijuana, MX. Self-pay, self-referral, 4-week wait. Abdominoplasty Aug 10, 2013 (Dr. K. Dolynchuk, Winnipeg - self-pay)

pegcitygrl
on 9/2/13 12:49 am - Winnipeg, Canada

I was shocked more than anything as almost everyone on this forum that has had surgery within the last year in wpg has stated that they were on the Boost diet and not eating.  I guess it comes down to personal choices. Whether or not she fails will remain to be seen.  I just thought it was crazy. I'm glad her surgery turned out ok

manitobamike
on 9/2/13 5:39 am, edited 9/2/13 5:40 am - Canada
VSG on 12/03/13

In the Alberta program, the pre bariatric class guidelines state that I will be on a fluid only diet for the 2 weeks following my surgery. My understanding is that I will be allowed to consume strained soups and broth, baby food (including chicken), yogurt as long as is not the fruit pieces kind (smooth yogurts - plain Greek recommended), milk, applesauce, cream of wheat, tofu,etc. NOT PROTEIN SUPPLEMENTS (Boost, Ensure) unless recommended by the doctor or dietician. The goal is too maintain adequate hydration, get enough protein for healing,etc, not strain the stomach and learn what you can tolerate. You do not want to throw up or have a blockage!

Also in Edmonton a number of surgeons are prescribing 2 weeks of pre bariatric surgery liquid diets to prepare you, maximize weight loss and to reduce the fat around your liver (to make it easier and less risky to complete the surgery). This is where in the Alberta program patients are using Boost or Ensure unless prescribed for the 2 week post surgery diet.

TeashaLorna
on 9/2/13 1:16 pm - Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada

I didn't think this message was so much about the fact of what she ate but more the fact that she was not sticking to the Dr's plan. From my prespective it doesn't matter what you eat or do as long as you are committed to doing what you have been given instructions to do. Again it is all about how badly you want it.

Dr Ponce de Leon Mexico     VSG 4 Jun 12. I lost 57 lbs on my own before having a VSG. This is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Nutmegger
on 9/2/13 1:35 pm
My preop was less than 1600 cals and less than 20 grams of carbs daily. Then the last two days preop were all liquid, (which happened to cover thanksgiving). So preop diets can vary widely, but agree, follow your doctors instructions.
Most Active