HELP PLEASE!

christie111777
on 1/3/06 12:41 pm - Dearborn, MI
I need some help. I am going through the Beaumont weight loss center and Dr. Krause to have the lap RNY. I just got my surgery date christmas eve- it will be January 19, 2006. I saw the dietician last week and she put me on a high protein meal shakes-4 a day and 1 meal. I tried it for one day and just felt horrible. Headaches, the run, fatigue. My BMI is over 50. I decided to just follow my weigh****chers program-but am wondering am I doing enough? Probably not. I am just wondering what other people's prep was like before surgery. Does everyone do a protein shake diet for 2-4 weeks before hand? I read some where that this helps shrink your liver...is that true? Is it necessary? I'm going to contact Dr. Kruase's office for his recommendation though I am pretty sure he'll back the dietician. I am diabetic, work full time and have a four year old. I'm struggling with everything. I need the surgery for my life...for my son. I just feel kind of lost right now. I am getting slack from some people who say I'm just coping out, am I just being a baby? I mean if it was that easy to lose weight to drink a few shakes, wouldn't we have lost it that way already??????? Please help...
brendayaya1
on 1/3/06 1:16 pm - Gwinn, MI
I didn't have to do a liquid diet before surgery, so I can't give you any input there. But I can tell you that your liver doesn't "shrink." If your surgeon requires the liquid diet, then you should do it. Please report the problems that you're having and ask for help in dealing with them. Forget the people who say that you're copping out. They have no idea what they're talking about (kind of like a man saying that giving birth isn't really all that painful...) Brenda
christie111777
on 1/3/06 1:23 pm - Dearborn, MI
thank you for your support and response. I'm going to call my doctor tomorrow (AND NOT FEEL LIKE A FAILURE!)
Beth Hand (was
Gothro)

on 1/3/06 2:04 pm - Fowlerville, MI
I had the LAP RNY and my prep was: 2 days prior to surgery, full liquid diet; 1 day prior to surgery, clear liquid diet. Each doctor/medical group seems to have different requirements. Do as your doctor says, but call him and let him know you're having difficulty with the drinks. As far as "copping out"... most people are VERY misinformed about the surgery. They just think you get your stomach reduced and - bam - like magic you get thin. They don't know about the specialized diet, the inability to eat sugars, "dumping", and how hard we really have to work at it (exercise, proper nutrition, etc). Yes, the weight will come off quicker than anything you've ever done, but you're not a baby. You're very brave. This is a huge, life-changing decision and you're doing it to get your health and life back. Don't let 'em tell ya anything different!!! Beth
Cheryl D.
on 1/3/06 9:41 pm - Flint, MI
Four shakes may not be enough calories for you in the first few days of your protein "fast." Also, when I move from carbs to an all protein diet (including shakes) I get headaches and am very tired for the first couple of days. I believe, and have heard others talk about the "detox" effect. I must admit, that there have even been times that I have consciously eating the carbs to get rid of the lethargy that comes on from weaning myself off them. An all liquid diet is very hard for some people to follow. However, from everything I have heard and read, weight loss BEFORE surgery, does "loosen" things up and makes for easier access for the surgeons. Cheryl Bigelow
shannon d
on 1/3/06 9:43 pm - MI
I had Dr Chengelis thru Beaumont and WCC and my onlyprep was nothing to eat or drink 12 hrs prior to surgery... Shannon
Theresa W.
on 1/3/06 9:49 pm - Northern Lower, MI
I had to go on a liquid/pudding protein diet 1 week prior, and was told this did indeed shrink the organs somewhat, giving more room for the intruments to work...less chance of nicking the liver, etc. It makes the job easier on the surgeon. I think the open is different...not all the liquid diet is required. Ask your surgeon. Good luck! Theresa
Karing
on 1/4/06 1:06 am - Metro Detroit, MI
Christie, I went through Beaumont with Chengalis and had the same requirements. We are very similar - I was taking 5 shots of insulin EVERYDAY and my son was also 4. It truly does seem impossible, but something to consider is this is how you will be eating for a while! It truly was the best preparation I could have had. I tried a million different protein shakes and ate a side salad and grilled chicken breast from McDonalds - every single day up to surgery. Good luck, Karin
Annette L.
on 1/4/06 1:53 am - Farmington Hills , MI
Hi Christie, I was on a liquid diet for 1 week pre-op. It wasn't the easiest thing to do. I felt tired, hungry and sick for the first 3 days, after that it started to get better. Yes, the liquid diet greatly reduces your caloric intake which in return causes you to lose weight. Which in effect causes the fatty tissues on your liver to shrink, which makes injury to the liver when they move it out of the way a bit safer. That being said, our surgeons are trying to help save our lives. We need to follow their advice and not the advice of well meaning people. If you are having trouble with the liquid diet talk to your Dr. or nutritionist. They can give you the best advice that is healthiest for you. What you do now will only serve to make it easier (or harder) on you post-op. Remember you will be on a liquid for a while post-op. Best wishes to you as you continue on your journey. God bless you, Annette
christie111777
on 1/4/06 11:55 am - Dearborn, MI
Thank you so much for everyone's advice. I called the nutritionist today and she was very supportive, she encourage me to keep doing my weigh****chers and graddually add 2 protein shakes into my diet (as snacks or to replace 1 meal, etc...) I feel more positive now. It's been a tough battle over the years. I don't know if alot of people feel this way, but when I finally made the decision to have weight loss surgery it was almost like I was a failure. That I am so incapable of losing wiehgt I need to have some surgeon cut me open and reduce my stomach to do it. As I've continued through this journey and met some amazing people and doctors...I've learned this is a disease. I am not a failure. I just need to be given the right tools to be a success. When I tried the shakes it just brought forward that old feeling of failure again. I was nervous, anxious...you all have helped me get grounded again. THANK YOU. I can do this. It may a bit different from what this person or that person does, but I will be a success. Much love to all of you. Thank you.
Most Active
Recent Topics