Detroit Free Press Marathon

redheadjean
on 10/15/11 11:39 am - Canton, MI
Hello everyone! 
I had to post and talk about my challenge tomorrow.  I will be walking the 5K in the Detroit Free Press Marathon.  I decided to sign up to support a friend who is in a wheel chair and raising money for spinal research.  This is something that I would not have been able to do before surgery.  I still have arthritic knees and have to do low or non-impact type workouts, but I am very excited to walk in this race tomorrow.  I still struggle greatly with my weight and disappointment for not having met the amount of weight loss I had hoped for.  I am still trying, but basically have not lost anything since Christmas - I've just bounced around the scale.  I'm trying to focus on how good I feel and how good everyone tells me that I look and not think about the numbers!  Anyway, I know there will be thousands of people there and maybe even some of you. 
Jean  
meredith_123
on 10/15/11 1:07 pm - Waterford, MI
Good luck tomorrow.  It's going to be packed, I heard that it's sold out. I did the 5k 2 years ago. My job pays for us to do it as a perk.  I didn't sign up this year as I didn't know how good I'd be doing at this point, I'm only 1 month out from surgery.  I think for next year, I'm going to get my passport and walk the half marathon.  I think getting to walk the bridge and tunnel would be so cool.  Who knows, maybe by then I could try running it. 
  5'5" -- HW 275/SW 246/GW 130/CW 157      
redheadjean
on 10/16/11 2:10 am - Canton, MI
It may not be the fastest time you've seen, but I am very proud! 

Jean  
momofsix
on 10/16/11 5:13 am - Pinckney, MI

Congrats on doing it.... Even after being almost 5 years out, I could never imagine myself doing something like that.  Like you I have been struggling with my weight.  Had a lot of surgeries in the past 2 months and have gained some weight back due to being out of work and weight restrictions and all of that stuff that comes along with surgery.  I am due to go back to work this week and my restrictions will be lifted in about 2 more weeks, so I am sure I will start dropping weight again.  Just try and get back to basics again, you will see it come down.... Good Luck with the weight and Congrats again on the 5 K..... What an accomplishment under your belt.....

HUGS,

Shawn - Lap RNY 11/16/06
319/169/185/204 - 5' 7"  Starting/Goal/Lowest/Current

redheadjean
on 10/16/11 5:50 am - Canton, MI
Thanks!  and thanks for posting about your bladder suspension.  I'm having some bladder problems, but after hearing your story I am glad that I don't need the surgery, because I'm not sure if I would have it.  My doctor also said there is some electrode they can impant to help with that.  For now I'm going to try physical therapy and have some medicine.
Jean  
momofsix
on 10/16/11 6:09 am - Pinckney, MI

My doctor has been doing this surgery for 9 years now and this was the first time he had a case like mine.... Of course it had to happen to me.....

I had a vaginal reconstruction and the bladder lift done at the same time, then 6 days later, I still couldn't go to the bathroom and was stuck with a cathader that whole time.... Then I had another surgery to release or lower the sling that they put in.... Still couldn't go to the bathroom and had to go hope with that stupid bag again.... So then 3 days after that I had another surgery to totally reverse it and take the sling out.  So far so good.... They are hoping that the vaginal reconstruction may have been all that I needed since those muscles that my gyno reconstructed support the bladder and the surgery that the urologist did, was actually not needed....

We will see in time, as I am still healing and having to go to the bathroom on a schedule for a while still... I still recommend the surgery if someone is truly having problems and their bladder has fallen in the vaginal area, but for me it just didn't work..... I cried every day, it was a rough time for me, but I got through it and now I am doing pretty good.....

HUGS, 

Shawn - Lap RNY 11/16/06
319/169/185/204 - 5' 7"  Starting/Goal/Lowest/Current

Most Active
Recent Topics