Seminar at U of M today! First step complete....

MadsMommy
on 12/18/12 9:01 am
VSG on 05/20/13

Today I had my seminar at U of M, I was lucky and will be contacted tomorrow to have my nurse pract/nutritionist appt on Thursday.  I'm hoping to find out alot about my insurance then because when I called Aetna was useless, they could not answer my question on how long or if I need to do a medically supervised weight loss program and if so how long.. They kept telling me to ask the doctor.  I do know that its either not needed or 3 months but what I don't know if i can provide the notes from my pcps for the 3months or if I have start all over!

Has anyone had the Sleeve at U of M? or with Aetna?

Bethany1988
on 12/23/12 10:51 pm - MI
VSG on 02/18/13

Good for you for taking the plunge! I had my seminar about this time last year and I'm still going through the rings of pre-op... I had a job and insurance change right when I was about to have my consult with the surgeon... then I had to wait 90 days before I could go back and my surgeon had switched offices, thus, making me have to start over in the process. 

I think a lot of the requirements depend on what your BMI is. I had to do 6 months of supervised weight loss with BCBS. I'm sure Aetna is similar... and they should know what you need to do... they shouldn't be telling you to ask the doctor.

It is a frustrating process, but I know it is going to be so worth it! Good luck and I hope you get the answers you are looking for soon!

saralynne65
on 12/27/12 2:18 pm
Revision on 01/23/13

Ask Aetna to provide you with a copy of your actual policy and read it thorughly. I have the lapband and am revising to the RNY and BCBS STILL required me to have 6 mo supervised diet before surgery (I'm not sure why 5 yr.s being compliant with a lapband diet doesn't meet that requirement but that's how it is.) however my band slipped so I am now scheduled for surgery.  It is well worth it to obtain a complete copy of your health ins policy and read it really thoroughly. Then call them with questions. If they can't answer keep asking for the supervisor of member services til you get someone that can..I know it's frustrating-believe me I know!! ((Hugs))

Saralynne

pineview01
on 1/3/13 9:29 pm - Davison, MI

What Sara said.  Every policy is different even with the same insurance.  My DD had BCBS of another state(forget which) didn't cover sleeve.  Switched to BCBS of another state which covered  sleeve and needed no diet with her BMI over 50.  But, Her Employer specific policy required her to have a supervise diet with a bmi over 50 for three months.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

MadsMommy
on 1/22/13 11:32 am
VSG on 05/20/13
Thank you everyone. I did speak with u of m and we are going to try to submit with 3mos. Wish me luck

MadsMommy
on 3/24/13 1:43 pm
VSG on 05/20/13
Surgery approved by aetna after 4mos of pcp visits my date is 5/20

avanma01
on 3/27/13 12:13 am - MI

Does anyone have Molina?

Most Active
Recent Topics