Blue Cross 6 month diet requirement

StacyT
on 10/26/13 11:23 am

I have everything already done but to finish the 6 month requirement from Blue Cross. I have an appointment with my PCP in November and the final appointment is December 2nd. Then the Bariatric center can submit all my paperwork for an approval or denial. I was under the impression I just had to discuss with my doctor diet nutrition and exercise. And if I didn't loose anything during this period it would be ok...Well I saw my nutritionist from the bariatric center and when I told her I had gained ONE pound when I had went to my last visit at the PCP she about fainted. She said she's seen insurance companies deny people for gaining 1 pound. Is anyone going through this right now and have any advice? Since then I have kicked it into super gear and hope to lose a few pounds at the November visit but I'm sick about the fact I may have to start over...

Dawn ..
on 1/2/14 11:19 am - MI
VSG on 09/23/14

Hi StacyT, I have BCBC/MESSA and I am not sure if they will reject your request for gaining a pound, but my bariatric doctor said that I should absolutely not gain anything during my 6 months pre-op. That may be coming from BCBC...

Consult 12/9/13, Pre-Surgery Appt 9/5/14, Surgery 9/23/14, Height/5'.52", HW/273,  ConsW/268 ConsBMI/49, PreSurW/213 PreSurBMI/39, SurW/193.8 SurBMI/35.4, Drs GW/140-150 My 1st GW/160 2nd GW/145
Visit my online store at dawnsjewelrybox.com  Independent Consultant ID 30858

rosasmom
on 2/14/14 5:30 am - Romulus, MI

Hi  StacyT, I was wondering if you have a Blue Cross HMO or PPO?

56sunShine14
on 3/14/14 6:44 am

I am not in the medical field but am a lap Bander and I think maybe the reason BC/BS does't want you to gain weight is that they may feel you are not going to do the work necessary to lose weight after WLS.  If you are gaining during the 6 month pre-surg. then you will probably not follow diet and instructions after surgery.  NOT my thoughts but pretty sure it is the reason.

Have either of you had surgery yet?

Most Active
Recent Topics