Accountability?

luvsexytrstno1
on 7/26/09 2:58 am - Anchorage, AK

As I have mentioned before, I am trying out a couple of iphone food diary applications. The latest one that I am playing with is Livestrong (aka The Daily Plate). One of the features of this program is its ability to link to twitter. At first I thought, "Why the heck would you want to tweet (publicly broadcast) every bite you take in during the day?! and who would want to read it anyway?" Well, after a minute, it hit me, accountability. Am I really going to eat that fat, greasy, nutrient deficient, calorie bomb if everyone is going t be reading about it? Probably not or at least I would think twice before I did. If you are honest and take the time to enter what you are eating, then I can see this being a very valuable motivator.
I had a friend once who would constantly tell me, "I've only eaten (insert one healthy low calorie food here) all day.", but if you watched her, she was a grazer. She never apparently counted all of the chips, cookies, and treats she picked at all day long. It's like my grandmother always said, "what you eat in private, shows in public". The same goes for mindless eating, you may not count it but it shows.
Sure it takes some time to whip out the your iphone and enter the program, then search for the food, and then log it but it makes such a difference. There are tons of studies out there that prove food diaries work at helping you achieve and maintain your weight goals.
So far, I am really liking the Livestrong application for the twitter capabilities and the huge food database. The only big drawback to that huge food database is the fact that a lot of the foods are taken from user entries and therefore are not verified so you may find some of them to be inaccurate and that there are tons of duplicates for a single food. I think it is well worth the $2.99 for the download.
It even helps you to set up weight loss goals and bases your daily caloric intake on those goals and activity levels that you have entered. For example, I have 740 calories left for today to stay within my goal.
I may revise this review later after working with the program more and discovering more of its quirks, etc. but for the 4 days that I have been using it, I have really enjoyed it and found it very user friendly. It also links to the Livestrong website and your food diary there which has more detailed features and options.
As for who actually reads twitter updates of food diaries, you can show me. You can follow me on twitter by clicking on the blue birdie in the left hand column. Go ahead, you know you are curious and besides, you would be helping me by keeping me accountable!
read more at;
http://luvsexytrstno1.blogspot.com/2009/07/accountability.ht ml
Most Active