Support for Spouses

Melissa Gatlin
on 11/2/09 10:48 am - Laurel, MS
Hi.  My name is Melissa and I am new to the WLS world.  My husband was wondering if there are any support groups for spouses of bariatric surgery patients.  He is having some emotional issues come up about my surgery and needs someone to talk to about this.  I think his biggest fear is that I won't be the woman he married and will want to find someone new.  Anyway, if you guys have any suggestions or help for him please let me know.  Thanks so much.
Miss Liss
on 11/6/09 10:35 pm
Hi, Melissa.  I think there is a forum on here for family members of bariatric surgery patients.  Go under forums at the top and it should be under WLS related forums.  He could check that out.  Good luck.
Melissa Gatlin
on 11/7/09 9:28 pm - Laurel, MS
Thanks, Melissa, for responding.  We found that forum just a few days ago and I've gotten a lot of good information from it.  Also, my husband will attend the local support group meetings with me if at all possible to get help that way.
Melora
on 11/9/09 9:00 am - Perkinston, MS
Hi there,

I noticed your doctor is Steve Weinstein.  He was mine, too.  I go to the support group that his clinic hosts at Mobile Infirmary.  They meet on the 2nd Thursday of the month at 6:30 pm in the auditorium at the hospital (same place they have the information seminars about having the surgery).  That means the next meeting is this Thursday night. 

Anyway, several of the people attend are accompanied by their spouses who participate in the support group meetings.  It's helpful for them, and for us.  I know it's a bit of a drive (I live in Perkinston myself), but it's a very good group.  Casey Frawley is the bariatric coordinator who leads the group. 

You can call Dr. W's office to get her # if you want more information.  It doesn't matter if you are having a RNY or lap-band, even though they have a group for each.  People go to whichever group they can make.  Many folks have yet to have their procedure.  While it's not a separate group for spouses, it may be helpful to both of you. 

Hope this helps...

Melora

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Melissa Gatlin
on 11/9/09 10:05 am - Laurel, MS
Hi, Melora!  My husband and I will be at the Support Group Meeting this Thursday!  I hope to get to meet you there.  We decided that he needed to come with me and we're both looking foward to it.  I'm praying he can network with some other husbands there.
Most Active