Hello, new here

mistydreamer
on 8/1/06 3:23 am - Fredericton, Canada
Hello I just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Pam and I'm 32 years old and live in Fredericton near the Brookside Mall. I just had my consultation with my surgeon Dr. Beausoleil in Moncton on July 10th. I've been approved with medicar for RNY surgery and now that the surgery is getting closer to reality I'm getting a bit scared. I really wanted to ask some questions to people who have the surgery already to see how it affected them post-op months and up to years later. Did anyone have any major complications post-op or minor complications post-op? Has anyone had to have any corrective surgery due to a complication? I'm a bit leary of the pulmonary embolisms and septic shock that can occur, has anyone ever had any episodes with these and if they did how was it treated? A little bit more about me, I've been obese ever since I was a small child, and I have borderline diabetes and chronic back pain as well as acid reflux disease. I'm single and work at a call centre which I dislike very much but due to my fitness level it's about the only job I can do. Later
Carol Lee McNeil
on 8/1/06 10:09 am - Fredericton Junction, Canada
Hiya Pam..nicetameetcha you are about a week ahead of me..I met with Doc B on the 17th..cleared for lap-band. I guess we are both (hopefully) at the end of the waiting game. Keep in touch Carol
mistydreamer
on 8/3/06 4:33 am - Fredericton, Canada
Hello Carol. I hope we're near the end of the waiting game.. I'm on pins and needles waiting for the mandatory 1 day information session and testing they do on that day. I don't want to work, I don't want to go to sleep, actually I'm seriously thinking of quitting work. I hate my work and I definitely don't plan on going back after my surgery. I'm a little worried about the whole thing...more so of the complications after the surgery more then the surgery itself. Thanks for replying.
NBChickadee
on 8/3/06 12:12 pm - Fredericton, Canada
Hi Pamela, I had lap band surgery about 2 weeks ago and I am thrilled. When I had my all-day info session in Moncton, there was a woman who spoke to the group, Denise Colombe, who had an RNY I think 2 years ago. She is a terrific person and a great inspiration and is either at goal weight now or close to it. There's a support group here in Fredericton at the DECH that is organized by Denise. I have been twice, but since it's summer, the numbers are down, but I understand there's more people who come out in the fall. It's like the 3rd Tuesday evening of every month--or something. I'll have to dig around for the info. I'll post it later when I find it. There's a mixture of folks who have had WLS of different kinds, and folks who are playing the waiting game. (and if I forget to look for the info and post it, you could ask Lise--Denise is well-known at the clinic as she was patient #2 or something like that!) Apparently I am eligible to go to the support group in Moncton now, but I don't know if I will--traveling to and from Moncton for pre-surgery, surgery and post-surgery is probably enough for me. I wish the surgery had been available when I was younger, but meh~I guess life begins at 49 for me anyway. Toodles! ~Deb
mistydreamer
on 8/5/06 1:24 pm - Fredericton, Canada
Thanks Deb For the info on the DECH suupport group. I'm still quite nervous about the surgery but I'm still going for it.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Revision to sleeve
KL_Girl · 1 replies · 1078 views
Removal scheduled for tomorrow
Krista C. · 2 replies · 1943 views
DS - 5.5 years after the Sleeve
Henry M. · 1 replies · 1788 views
Facebook page
Raisin_girl · 5 replies · 1785 views