6 days post-op from Lap Gastric Bypass

sarahlee
on 9/25/06 2:30 am - Canada
Hey guys, Long time no talk...well I've had my surgery by Dr. B on September 19th...all went well....it was done laprascopic...I have 21 staples(5 incisions)...I was in ICU 2 days...I was only suppose to be in there for 1 day but the surgerical ward had no beds I had to stay in the ICU... The nurses were AWESOME...super helpful and some of the nicest ppl I've ever met. I ate jell-o the day after my operation...I am on a diet of soup and jell-0/pudding...I'm starting to crave food of more substance...but that will come soon enough... I have to break my multi-vitamins into 4 pieces...I take one and it fills me up (it does hurt a little, just for a min or two)...It takes me a hour or so to eat my 1 vitamin... I spend most of my day in bed watching TV... I get up and walk around everyday....I got for a daily walk down to the end of road and back...about 5mins a day...I'm hoping to by the end of next week to walk to pick my son up from school (15-20mins)... I go back to see Dr.B on oct 10th to have my staples removed...and I'm outta work for 6 weeks... 6 days post-op and I've lost 11lbs already...so since my journey has begun I have lost 35lbs (I lost 24 on my own)... I will keep everyone updated...
Sherry C.
on 9/25/06 7:01 am - Eastern Passage, Canada
Sarah , That is really great ... good for you !! I was just to see Dr B on Thursday and I am thinking on going the same method as you . Keep me informed on your progress ... you must feel so releaved that it is over with and the healing can begin and the weight will start falling off !! Are you in much pain and do you find it hard to get comfortable? Keep up the good work !!
Carolyn C.
on 9/25/06 11:00 am - Barnaby, Canada
Sarah my friend!!!! I was thinking of you. You sound great. Yahoooooo. So happy for you my friend. Hugs - Carolyn
sarahlee
on 9/27/06 12:41 am - Canada
Hey guys! Caroline...so glad to hear from you too!!!... Not in much pain and Dr. B will give you enough pain killers for sure...gave me 50tabs of morphine...so it is surely enough... I have my first bout of throwing up the other day...Dr. B has each day broke down on what I'm to eat...to gradually introduce new items into my diet...well after 6 days of eating soups I was so so so tired of it... My book told me I could start introducing pureed meat into my diet...I was SO excited...I decided I was going to have some salmon..I baked it like I always do...and thought I could eat it enough without pureeing it...BOYS was I WRONG...I ate about 1/2 of it...it hurt a little going down...but then OMG I thought I was going to die...I had massive pain in my new stomach and the urge to vomit...It took about 15mins before I threw up...and I only threw up a little...but OMG...it felt good...I couldn't eat anything for the rest of the day... The day after I returned to soups...then yesterday I introduced PUREED chicken and mashed potatoes...which went down well...I had a genius plan last night thinking that egg salade would be fine...WRONG...didn't go down right...lol... I think I've learned my lesson...BIG TIME...The other day I was hooked to the food channel which was a huge mistake...lol...I'm dealing with alot of thoughts of food...not so much head hunger (I do have a little of that)...but the fantasy of eating what I can't...I'm day dreaming of a big juicy cheeseburger...I know that I will be eventually able to have one...probably only 1/2 of one...and I'm fine with that...I'm learning not to deny myself things but in moderation...only in moderation... currently this is how my daily meals are: breakfast: cream of wheat or 1/2 cup of carnation instant breakfast (I'm typically not a breakfast eater so the instant breakfast is great). Snack: 1/2 cup of light jell-o or fat free chocolate pudding Lunch: 1/2 cup of soup (cream of mushroom or blended chicken noodle soup) Snack: 1/2 cup of light jell-o or fat free chocolate pudding Dinner: Mashed potatoes, pureed chicken or fish, and pureed veggies Snack: 1/2 cup of light jell-o or fat free pudding I strongly recommend buying some small tuperware containers and then preparing the jell-o and pudding...that way it's alot easier to have your snacks...plus buying the applesauce fruit cups (sobeys brand..sugar free)... Taking my multi-viatmin HURTS...it feels like it fills up my stomach...I break mine up into 4 pieces and it usually takes me a 1hr to fini**** up... I do go for a 10min walk a day...I'm pretty sure that I'm losing muscle mass in my thigh though...feels weird...tight with pins and needles...need to increase my protein intake.... Hope all this helps...
Carolyn C.
on 9/28/06 8:22 am - Barnaby, Canada
Hi Sarah, Wow your getting more than i thought you would. I know about the eating thoughts. *sigh* Funny how the years tend to change you. I remember dreaming about "the right guy", now food! What's up with that???? Oh yeah I'm 57........ Every time I see you name here, I can picture that big smile of yours and that upbeat personality. I am so happy for you as well as your family. Hugs - Carolyn PS I haven't heard from Roger.
sarahlee
on 9/29/06 12:03 am - Canada
Thanks Carolyn...I appreciate it...
Darlene P.
on 9/28/06 5:55 am - Sunnyside of Life, Canada
Did You Have the lapband or gastric bypass?...I am confused. I didn't realize the back to work time was 6 weeks for lapband..I was hoping for a few days.....Good luck to you on your loss...I am currently waiting for my information session with Dr. B Darlene MacDougall
Darlene P.
on 9/28/06 7:52 am - Sunnyside of Life, Canada
Me again, Aren't I a dummy, the more I thought about it ...you meant laprascopically....Hope you are feeling great soon Darlene MacDougall
Most Active
Recent Topics
Revision to sleeve
KL_Girl · 1 replies · 1078 views
Removal scheduled for tomorrow
Krista C. · 2 replies · 1943 views
DS - 5.5 years after the Sleeve
Henry M. · 1 replies · 1788 views
Facebook page
Raisin_girl · 5 replies · 1785 views