My thoughts

Mary C.
on 4/24/11 1:41 am - Glovertown, Canada
I posted this in another forum. Just something to think about. I think I would have self-paid and had my RNY much earlier - if I knew then what I know now. Hindsight is always 20/20 as they say. The years of being obese have done a number on my knees and ankles and hips - especially working on my feet as an RN. I do feel so much better now - but still have pain in my one ankle (the operative one) and one of my knees at times. I wish I had had my RNY  years earlier and spared my poor joints those years of wear and tear. Because - although I am lighter now and hopefully not damaging them any further - I can't reverse the damage that's been done. Happy Easter!

Just me butting in here - I had my RNY - at age 46 - with a surgeon 3 provinces away from me. About 2000 miles. It was covered by my insurance. I had a three year wait - knowing then what I know now - I would totally have taken out a loan in order to have it done sooner rather than later. In my opinion - we take out loans for houses, cars - etc etc. What better investment than our health? I wish I had done it sooner - and gained more years of living healthy with a greatly improved quality of li
fe. I remember one post-op I met telling me that she re-mortgaged her house - and got her money that way. Because the way she looked at it - if she continued to live the way she was - she soon wouldn't be able to work anyway - she would be disabled - and not able to afford to keep her house. Harsh way of thinking. But it makes sense to me. Good luck to all of you - whatever you decide - and have a great Easter Weekend!

Kitty_mom
on 4/24/11 12:15 pm - New Maryland, Canada
I agree with you. I still had 4 kids when I started my journey. I guess I could have taken out a loan, but my priority was putting them through university. Now my priority is to eliminate my left over debts so I can retire. The reality is, i would not have paid the cost of my surgery in the US or Canada & I would not go to Mexico or India. I only wanted the Band, & without a clinic here, I would not have succeeded anyway.
So while I do agree with you, I would not have taken out a loan for my surgery

Most Active
Recent Topics
Revision to sleeve
KL_Girl · 1 replies · 1049 views
Removal scheduled for tomorrow
Krista C. · 2 replies · 1903 views
DS - 5.5 years after the Sleeve
Henry M. · 1 replies · 1755 views
Facebook page
Raisin_girl · 5 replies · 1753 views