Could I ask a favor of those willing?

Ineedavw
on 3/31/06 1:20 pm - Harrisburg, NC
Since I'm still trying to wrap my brain around everything I've read on different WLS's could some of you tell me which surgery you had and why you had that particular one? I've got a lot more questions as well so perhaps this could go to email. I'm just curious and would appreciate the help. I've gone through 75% of the members listed on the peers page and have sent out several emails asking the same question(s) but no one has replied as of yet. It's amazing how much information is out there and I've organized as much as possible into Word documents for offline reference. I think I'm just looking for some personal perspective now. Thank you so much for any and all help!!!!! Glendie
Ro Smiley
on 3/31/06 9:17 pm - Charlotte, NC
Hi Glendie, I had lap RNY with silastic banding (also known as fobi) on 11.18/05. I will tell you a little bit about the procedure, in case you do not know abut the fobi aspect. The surgery is really the same as the lap RNy in that the stomach is divided intoa new small pouch , which is seperated from the old stomach the intstines are then bypassed to the new pouch about halfway down forming the Y limb. The place where the intestine is attached to the new pouch is called the stoma. The fobi portion is where a small ring is placed around the stoma, preventing it from stretching past the size of the ring. Per my doctor, the stoma is one place that is very vulnerable to stretching over time. If the stoma stretches, you pouch can empty much more quickly, which enables you to eat more food at one time, sort of defeating (or at least minimizing) the benefit of having a reduced stomach cpacity. The fobi is not intended to increase the amount of weight lost or the speed with which it is lost. rather it is a tool to prevent regaining weight, ensuring long-term results. I have had a very easy time with both surgery and life after surgery. I started out weighing 255.5 at 5'3. I am 4 1/2 months post-op and have lost 66.5 lbs. I think that I may be losing abit more slowly than others, but my doc & nutritionist think I am on track. I have really had no problem getting in my protein or fluids, and have fortunately not had much problem with eating. I do not drink alcohol or carbonated beverages. Pretty much I drink water and crystal light. I have one protein drink a day (20-30 grms of protein) which helps me meet my daily protein requirements. I am able to eat fish, shrimp, chicken, beef and pork. Eggs are tough fro me--they don't make me sick, but they feel like lead in my pouch. I do eat carbohydrates in the form of whole grains, fruit and veggies, but the majority of my food intake is protein. Please let meknow if you have any specific questions. Roberta
Ro Smiley
on 3/31/06 9:29 pm - Charlotte, NC
Glendie, after that long post, I realized taht I forgot to tell you why I chose my particular surgery. For me, I felt that if I was oging to undergo the drastic measure of surgery, with all of the associated risks, that I wanted teh greates t chance for long term success. I felt that I would be able to cheat my way around the lap band, and that rny offered a greater % of long -term weight loss. Also, I wanted to give myself the best shot at keeping the weight off, so Iopted for the fobi (even thought there are some additional risks associated with the fobi). Also, factoring into my decision was insurance coverage. My health insurance only covered the RNY. I also looked into the mini-gastric bypsas, but without insurance coverage, it really wasn't an option, and I felt that RNY still offered me what I needed. Lap v. open was not my decision. My surgeon does the laproscopic procedure as a rule, unless there is some medical reason that openmust be performed. Lap reduces time in hospital and recovery time.
Nancy_S
on 4/1/06 9:37 am - Candler, NC
Glendie, I was first interested in a lap band but decided against it for two reasons. The first being I would have to really go through hoops to get my insurance to cover it. The second being, I was afraid I wouldn't lose the kind of weight I needed to with a lap band. I was also afraid of having something foreign in body and having to rely on "fills." I was lucky because the place I chose for my surgery had a wonderful education session, where the surgeon answered any and all questions we had (and this was right at the beginning). He never seemed to be in a hurry and answered all questions no matter how small. Like Roberta, open or lap surgery was up to the surgeon, he did tell me he was pretty sure I could have it lap, but of course there was no certainty in that. Hope that helps! Nancy
pinkmommy
on 4/1/06 3:10 pm - Triangle Area, NC
I had the VG (also called VSG). There is a VSG forum here - info about the surgery and a fairly active board where you can ask questions. The VG is similar to the DS in how the stomach is cut and shaped, but it is made smaller than with the DS. There is no intestinal cutting/routing malaborption done. It is stomach size restriction only. Doctors started the VSG as a first step in the DS for very high risk patients. They only did the stomach reduction size until patients lost enough weight to make the malaborption componet safer. They found many patients losing a lot of weight with just the first stage (150+ pounds) and some patients losing all of their excess weight. One important component to the VSG which doctors are discovering is that it virtually eliminates the hormone called gherilin (sp), which stimulates hunger. I chose the VSG because when I compared effectiveness and safety, it made the most sense *for me.* I was leaning toward the lap-band. I was pretty sure I did not want a malaborption surgery. I struggle with iron intake already. Ultimately, I chose not to have the lap-band because of my concerns about slippage, erosion and port problems which can all lead to more surgeries. During an orientation in which my surgeons presented info about all of the surgeries they do, they said the lap-band is the safest for the short term (less than six weeks) and the VSG is the safest for the long term. The VSG is a newer procedure. Not a whole lot of doctors are doing it yet, but the numbers are growing and for doctors who are doing it, it is becoming a more popular choice. My own surgeons' stats given in orientation for the amount of excess weight lost with each surgery is as follows: DS - 89% RNY - 85% VG - 84% Lap-Band - 69% My biggest concern with having the VSG is the idea that, in theory, you have to work harder to lose and maintein weight. My surgeon pointed out that with any of these surgeries, it is possible to not lose all of your weight or gain some/all back if you do not make lifestyle choices. Here is a good chart that compares the different surgeries: http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html In my profile, I give a lot more detailed info about my journey to have the VSG. I think you are doing the right thing by reading, thinking and asking questions. I am glad there are choices because I don't think there is one right sugery for everyone. ~Rondi~
A_brand_new_me
on 4/2/06 10:32 am - NC
I just recently had a lap RNY. I chose it because of a few reasons. #1 my insurance only covers it, not lap banding. #2 I read about the band embedding in the stomach tissues later and causing issues. I did great during the surgery and have been recooping fine. I am having trouble with the protein powder meals...I don;t like any of them. But otherwise doing well. Susu 3/23/06 231*220*150
Most Active
Recent Topics
13 years and counting
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 605 views
Elizabeth City, NC
Vampy · 0 replies · 1637 views
12 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 1320 views
Raleigh area doctors
ncgoaliemom · 0 replies · 1666 views
NC Forum
Sheryl28518 · 0 replies · 2699 views