going stir crazy

thserow
on 4/3/06 2:24 pm - jacksonville, NC
hello all, My name is Terri. My surgery date is Tuesday 4/11/06 in morehead city. Up until my pre-op appointment today with my surgeon, I was great. But something strange and scary happened. I have heard and read about all of the complications with the surgery but to hear it come from Dr. Way was like hearing for the first time. I suddenly felt faint, and my head started to hurt, then the nausea set in. I know I have made the right decision, and I am not going to turn back now. I have already stocked my home with all the necessary goods for the first 2-3 weeks post op and have everything pretty much in order. I guess nerves are your worst enemy. How do I keep my mind from wondering so that I can finish up some classwork for school early? (I'm working on my Masters program). Terri
wooddell
on 4/3/06 7:24 pm - Wilmington, NC
your poor head and body! Nerves are an enemy, for sure. There certainly are risks associated with the surgery but when I was a week away from surgery, I felt the risk of staying MO was greater, at least to my quality of life. To get through it, I had lunch with a post-op as well as staying on these forums/messageboards. In addition, every time I had to move, my painful body reminded me. Believe me, it was worth everything and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Good luck on working on your classwork!
jamey0509
on 4/3/06 11:34 pm - Charlotte, NC
Hi Terri, I went through the same thing in the weeks before surgery...I was so preoccupied with worry and excitement about the surgery that I could hardly concentrate at work. I was also determined to get a certification test out of the way beforehand so I wouldn't have to think about it while I was recovering. Thankfully I was able to use studying to take my mind off of the surgery...I just went to work on the weekends where I was alone and there were no distractions. It wasn't easy, but I did pass the test and now all the worry and stress seem like they were a lifetime ago. Just keep in mind that it will be here before you know it and do the best you can. WLS was 100 times easier than I thought it would be and I'm so glad I did it. Jamey
lindansg
on 4/4/06 12:19 pm - NC
What helped me Terri was I knew I was going to die if I didn't have the surgery. I could hardly get around. I had to quit working in Nursing Homes and Hospitals and go to private duty with one patient. My surgery was 1-25-06 and I feel like a new woman. I knew I didn't want to live the way I was and end up being a burden on anyone. So pick a great Dr. and go for it. What have you got to lose. Linda
Most Active
Recent Topics
13 years and counting
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 593 views
Elizabeth City, NC
Vampy · 0 replies · 1630 views
12 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 1314 views
Raleigh area doctors
ncgoaliemom · 0 replies · 1658 views
NC Forum
Sheryl28518 · 0 replies · 2690 views