RTP support groups

Don27516
on 5/22/11 11:41 pm - NC
 Are there any support groups in the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area? I live in Chapel Hill so I would like a support group closer than Raleigh, if there is one. I go to the monthly meetings at Duke but I would like another group too.

shoutjoy
on 5/23/11 8:41 pm - Culpeper, VA
Hi,

Glad you asked.  I am trying to get one started in the Durham area.  I have had a few people ask.  I am also wanting to get an idea of where we can meet and what time.  I had a support group in PA for about three years.  We recently moved back down to Durham.  I am trying to get an email list of folks so I can talk to all of you about when and where you want to meet. 

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

Barbara C.
on 5/24/11 1:41 am - Raleigh, NC

Hi Don,

First of all, congratulations on your success thus far. 

Secondly, I have a large support group that meets in N Raleigh the 3rd Saturday morning of each month. I also host a number of special interest groups throughout the month. The group is very diverse, with representation from just about every surgical program in the greater RTP area and beyond. We have quite a few members from Duke because it's the largest program in the area, but we also have members from other programs in the area and transplants that have moved here from out of state. We have members who come from Winston-Salem, Hillsborough, Greensboro, Clayton, Wilson, Rocky Mount, Cary, Chapel Hill, Pittsboro.... on and on, so I host the meetings near Brier Creek because it seems to be most centrally located. We have representation from just about every surgery type. We also have people that are just contemplating WLS to those who are a decade or more post op. 

You are most welcome to attend the general meeting as well as any of the special interest groups that I host. The special interest groups are smaller and more intimate and are held at a restaurant. The General Meeting is larger; normally ranging from 25 to 45 members and is held at the American Cancer Society Conference Center in North Raleigh

My meetings are peer-to-peer meetings. I started them because I needed more peer support than I was able to get at my monthly support group meetings at Duke. That said, I still attend the support group meetings Duke hosts. The monthly topics vary and I also bring in guest speakers from time to time. I was delighted that my own surgeon attended the meeting we just had this past Saturday and made himself available for questions and answers. Next month, Dr. Karl Schwarz, a plastic surgeon who has experience with bariatric patients will be our guest speaker. 

If you would like information about upcoming meetings, please feel free to join my meetup group. The url for my group is www.meetup.com/nc-wls.

I look forward to getting to know you.

All the best,

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Don27516
on 5/24/11 4:14 am - NC
 Barbara,
Are you going to the Duke support meeting tonight? I will be there.
Don

maggiet
on 5/24/11 6:35 am - Durham, NC
Don, I'm also going to be there tonight and I'm one of the folks who'd like to start a Durham group. I work in Chapel Hill and live in Durham. Hope to see you tonight.
Maggie

Barbara C.
on 5/24/11 8:30 am - Raleigh, NC

Hi Don,

I used to attend the Durham group, but since the have started one in Raleigh that is just a couple of miles from my house, I normally attend that one. I won't be there this evening, but may try to get back up there one of these days. 

Wishing you all the best,

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Don27516
on 5/29/11 2:11 am - NC
 Barbara, I have put this on my calendar for June. I talked with someone at the Duke support meeting and they told me how great your meetings are. Do I need to pre register, or should I just show up? I am looking forward to meeting you.
Thanks!
Don

Most Active
Recent Topics
13 years and counting
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 584 views
Elizabeth City, NC
Vampy · 0 replies · 1623 views
12 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 1308 views
Raleigh area doctors
ncgoaliemom · 0 replies · 1651 views