Hi, I've been MIA for way too long....

Alice H.
on 8/30/11 4:40 am - Winterville, NC
I see several "old" friends and lots of new folks on the board.  It's been several months since I've been on the message board.  Miss the wonderful friends I made here over the years. 

For those who don't know me, I'm Alice and I work at ECU.  I had my surger in Oct. 2007. I'm almost 4 years out now and still say having WLS is THE single best thing I've ever done for my health, both physician and mental.  I do admit the last year has been challenging; I've regained 10 pounds that I really feel in my clothing.  Most folks tell me I look healthier since I gained the 10 pounds but I certainly don't feel it. 

I attribute the gain to slacking off on exercise and snacking.  It's been a pretty tough year, I lost my mother in November, the day before my daughter's wedding and then lost my mother in law in May; both from lung cancer.  The emotional loss of my Mom hit me so much harder than I expected and I know I fell back into the emotional eating trap.  I've been working on getting at least 5 of the 10 pounds off but it's much harder now than it was 2 years ago to lose. 

I did attend our support group this month for the first time since January.  It really helped me to get motivated to make some corrective changes.  I started wearing my pediometer again and put a chart on the fridge to track my steps and other exercise.  I'm also trying to back off the sweet tea that I know contributed to some fo those pounds.  I just don't like water!  

I now also struggle with IBS which started after I had surgery in 2008 for colon cancer. I had some complications from the surgery and since the doc couldn't attribute the symptoms to anything else, he says its most likely Irritable Bowel Symdrome.  I get REALLY bloated when I eat pretty much any beans, raw fruit or vegies.  It's a miserable feeling and I wish there was something that would make it go away. 

Well, that's enough.  I posted the ECU Exercise Study and thought I'd say Hi to everyone since I was here. 

All of you who are in the process of having the surgery or have already had it, best of luck.  You're in for the ride of your life and it's a great ride...  Take care! 

Alice
Alice in OneDerland
H:260 G: 135 
C:145 L: 131 BMI: 26 H: 5' 2 1/2" 
RNY 10/07  LBL 11/09
Barbara C.
on 9/1/11 12:39 pm - Raleigh, NC

(((((Alice))))),

It's been a long time my friend and it amazes me at just how parallel our lives seem to run. Like you, I lost my mother this past year, along with the losses of my father-in-law and mother-in-law, Ben's job and our home, so I really empathize and sympathize with the challenges you have been dealing with this past year. Like you, we have also celebrated the blessing of our children's weddings, but not beautiful grandchildren yet ;-)... She sure is a beauty! 

At any rate, while I understand your distress at your 10 lb gain, I think it's not so much the weight as the fact that it wasn't planned gain, but gain that occurs with stress. All of that said, it sounds to me like you have a plan and are working it. I did the same thing and was able to take off the extra pounds I found. I'm confident that as you start focusing on taking care of you, you will too because we still have those tools. 

I recently had a large symposium in Raleigh drawing people from your neck of the woods. I've been asked if we had any support groups in the area, but I'm not sure if you still host any of them anymore or if anyone else has taken up the mantle there. There does seem to be interest, so let me know if you think having bi-monthly meetings in your area might be worth trying again or not.

I've missed you and look forward to seeing you now and again my friend.

All the best,

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Alice H.
on 9/13/11 11:52 pm - Winterville, NC
Hey Barb, I quit doing the bi-monthly meetups because the attendance dropped off so much; the last one I scheduled was last Dec. and no one showed up except for me so I just gave up.  I did send out a notice to let folks know that if anyone wanted to pick it up and run with it to go right ahead.  I was in a bad place having just lost Mom and with Ronnie's Mom deteriorating quickly so I decided to let someone else have a turn.

You are so right about our lives running parallel in so many ways.  I am working on the 10 pounds; I have my 4 year follow up with Dr. Chapman on Oct. 18th so that has given me a deadline to get at least 5 pounds off if not more by then.  I'm really having lots of problems with bloating.  He thought I had an internal hernia and did exploriatory surgery last summer but didn't find one.  The last time I saw him for follow up last fall he said that the bloating is probably a symptom of IBS.  I have made all kinds of adjustments in my diet but haven't really found that any particular food(s) make it worse or better.  Very frustrating....  I'll be talking with him again about that next month. 

Well, best get back to work.  Take care my friend and I hope to make it to one of your meetings in Raleigh one day.  When we head up that way, we usually stick to the Garner area where the grandbabies are.  I have 2 now; Dale and Sandy had another girl in July; her name is Amelia Elisabeth (Lily) and is just as special as Scarlet.  I am so blessed!

Alice
Alice in OneDerland
H:260 G: 135 
C:145 L: 131 BMI: 26 H: 5' 2 1/2" 
RNY 10/07  LBL 11/09
karenswindell
on 12/2/11 9:02 pm - bailey, NC
Hey Aunt Alice....heheheh :) I found you!
Most Active
Recent Topics
13 years and counting
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 572 views
Elizabeth City, NC
Vampy · 0 replies · 1604 views
12 years!
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 1296 views
Raleigh area doctors
ncgoaliemom · 0 replies · 1632 views
NC Forum
Sheryl28518 · 0 replies · 2664 views