Medicaid

ebroady23
on 10/24/11 6:24 pm
I just got approve for medicaid. How do I start the process of getting the surgery? I know there is a 6 months diet. Where do I start? its like I got medicaid and I know it will be hard to get them to approve but who do I see first? My BMI is over 40. I have sleep apnea but is that enough
Koko10
on 10/24/11 10:22 pm - NC
I'm not sure about Medicaid but I wanted to say congratulations on getting closer to your goal.

Height 5'0 HW-247; SW- 238; GW-140  

Barbara C.
on 10/25/11 1:17 am, edited 10/25/11 1:18 am - Raleigh, NC

The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHHS) Division of Medical Assistance (DMA) have the document that appears below: http://www.ncdhhs.gov/dma/mpproposed/hcproposed/NCHC-Surgery -for-Morbid-Obesity-45-Day-Comment-09-12-2011.pdf 

NC Medicaid used to pay for bariatric surgery and a moratorium was put in place effective July 2010. This document effective, 9/12/2011, is a 45 day comment document, changing the policies under which NC Medicaid would recognize and fund bariatric surgery. According to this document, patients with a BMI over 40 will not require any additional co-morbidities. Section 3.2 tells you in detail what you will need to have or do to qualify for Medicaid coverage of bariatric surgery.  Since this is a '45 Day Comment Document', I doubt that it has yet been approved. I also don't know if NC Medicaid is currently funding bariatric surgeries, but from this document it looks like they will be doing so again. If it were me, I would look at what they require in section 3.2 and make sure that I had all of my proverbial 'ducks' in a row so that when it's available you'll be ready. 

Wishing you all the best, 

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Most Active
Recent Topics
13 years and counting
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 578 views
Elizabeth City, NC
Vampy · 0 replies · 1612 views
12 years!