Protein advice

Terese_
on 6/5/10 11:56 am - Omaha, NE
Hello all!  Scheduled for a realize band on 6/9/2010 and have started a pre-op liquid diet.  I am looking for advice on the best and most moderately priced protein (whey) supps.        I have tried

Unjury       (pricey, but am buying the strawberry sorbet)       $1.11 per serving
Jillian Michaels                     @ Walmart                                           .71 per serving
Body Fortress -chocolate @ Walmart     (slightly odd taste)       .59 per serving

Has anyone tried the products at HyVee (health market section) ?    I hate buying 2 pound packages in case I hate it.     

I looked at the Vita lady website,  but it all seemed on the higher price end, and there were just TOO many choices. 

Also, do you find yourself continuing w/ protein shakes after returning to solid foods?

papanpez
on 6/8/10 8:49 am - Grand Island , NE
I L.O.V.E beneProtein the unflavored stuff. I buy it at my hospital where I had my suergery. Ask your NUT. if your hospital cafateria sells it. IDK where else you could find it but its great I don't taste it AT ALL!!  IDK how much it is per serving but its 8.20 for a can about the size of the carnation instant breakfast cans or like the slimfast canned powders.  I add it to soups and well all sorts of food like beans and stuff.

Don't dig your grave with your own knife and fork.

djs_66
on 6/13/10 7:05 am - Lincoln, NE
Hi, I am in Lincoln and you can get benaprotein at HyVee but it is closer to $15.00 for a container.
mypappyblue
on 6/14/10 4:46 am
Hello;
I use a product called All The Whey; I buy it on line and it works out to about 80 cents per serving. I drink a double shake everyday (roughly 40-45 grams). Another product is called Syntrax Nectar;
I especially like the Twisted Cherry. It literally tastes like candy; again it has about 24 grams of protein per serving. Its best mixed with water or juice so if you don't want to use milk you don't have to.
As for protein after returning to solid food; I'm a DS'er and at 10 months out I still have to get 70-90 grams of protein a day. I don't know what the daily protein requirements are for a Bander. I know at 70-90 grams of protein I could never eat that much food in a day. Good luck with your band !!
Mike
BarbaraD
on 6/19/10 2:51 am - Omaha, NE
I love the Unjury and have used both the chocolate and vanilla since my surgery in 2007.  The chocolate is very good mixed with cold coffee and a little vanilla flavored coffee creamer, add lots of ice and you have a very delicious drink.  I like the vanilla mixed with orange soda (or any flavor you like) that has gone flat and a little vanilla coffee creamer, again lots of ice. I use International Delight French Vanilla in the dairy section.  The only thing you have to be careful with on the Unjury is that it does not mix well in very hot or very cold liquid. It mixes well in room temp/luke warm liquid just by shaking or stirring, no blender necessary.  I have tried several different brands and Unjury is the best hands down. (the strawberry sorbet is the only flavor I did not care for but you might try adding a little of the vanilla coffee creamer)
Barbara D.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Newbie Question
elowe · 0 replies · 4716 views
Insurance
Tashac · 1 replies · 5880 views
Party Time!
monymony · 0 replies · 6216 views
NE health care exchanges
dhomaha · 0 replies · 6283 views