Tips for an iron deficient anemic?

MomofKate
on 7/6/10 6:56 am, edited 7/6/10 7:40 am - Brick, NJ
RNY on 08/31/06 with
Hello Friends~

I had gastric bypass almost 4 years ago and have slowly become anemic.  My last bloodwork came back last week at a blood count of 10.  The doctor, my PCP, is sending me to a hematologist.  Does anyone have one that they love?  And has anyone post gastric bypass found any tips for getting iron into your body that will absorb?  I eat red meat 3-4 times a week, beans, lots of lettuce, dark green stuff... it just won't stay in me.  I take 4 FLintstones vitamins with extra iron a day. I am tired of being tired at this point.  Please send any tips that you have found that worked for you :)  Thanks!
Michelle Brennan
NJ
Gastric Bypass-Dr. Trivedi
Aug. 31 2006
Nannette
on 7/6/10 11:18 pm - Toms River, NJ
Hi Michele -- long time no see!  I too have become iron deficient at seven years out, and have been for the last two plus years.  Only deficiency I have.   I take two supplemental Vitron-C per day, with my vitamins, and make sure I don't take my Calcium supplement till several hours later.

The Vitron-C doesnt make me constipated and really helps lots -- I really feel it when I don't take it or skip a couple of days.  Also, make sure you're not taking calcium within three hours of your iron -- or you cancel both out!

Hope to see you at a meeting soon -- we're meeting this week on Friday - Aud C -- if you can make it.

Hugs,
Nannette

Nannette
Lap RNY 6/16/03
Revise to DS 8/15/11

rbb825
on 7/11/10 2:39 pm - Suffern, NY
Part of your problem is the flinstones vitamins, I am suprised that you don't have alot more deficiencies.  They are for kids and missing so many of the minerals that we need.  they have the wrong type of vitamin A for us, they have no selenium and if any, very little magnesium or copper.  We need all these things.  You are much better off with Centrum and you only have to take 2 of them.  They come in chewables and the centrum silver chewables taste the best.  They have no iron but if you take a separate iron supplement, it doesn't matter.

For iron, you are best taking carbonyl iron with vitamin c - you need vitamin C to absorb iron.  Carbonyl iron is easy to absorb and easy on your stomach.  You can get them at vitalady.com called Tender Iron - they come in 60mg capsules with the vitamin C already in the capsule.  If you are severely anemic, you would need to take atleast 3 of these a day. I take 3 and my levels are better than yours.  Eating foods high in iron wont' do much since we dont' absorb vitamins from foods anymore.  You need to get them from supplements.

How were you B12, vitamin D, calcium, PTH, vitamin A, vitamin B1?  Just to name a few.

Sheri A.
on 7/14/10 7:43 am
I agree, the Flintstone vitamins are not bariatric friendly. I take the CVS Spectravite Chewables...they are equivalent to the Centrum and taste alot better. CVS often has them at BYGOfree. I have anemia too and take ferrous fumerate, 100 mg. a day. Don't have a problem with stomach upset with them. I ordered them from vitacost.com. My blood count is about 11, 3 years ago i had an iron deficiency and my count went to 7...wound up in the hospital for 2 nights and had to get a blood transfusion because I had also developed an ulcer. I am still tired alot.
MomofKate
on 7/20/10 10:32 pm, edited 7/20/10 10:33 pm - Brick, NJ
RNY on 08/31/06 with
Nannette and Sheri-

Thanks for the responses. I have been looking for the Vitron C that Nannette takes,  but I can't find that. I am going to Target right now to get the Centrum, it's closer than CVS for me.  Thanks again, I can't wait to have more energy...it's awful right now.  The only good thing about the anemia is that I don't feel the heat like everyone else-I am always cold!  I have a sweater and scarf on at my office..but I am not the only one-they keep the office like a meat locker-guess they don't want anyone dozing off? lol.. love to both of you :)

Sheri-how was the transfusion?  I am really afraid of that word for some reason.   Any thing you could tell me about it?  I picture it like donating blood-and I hate that noise.
Michelle Brennan
NJ
Gastric Bypass-Dr. Trivedi
Aug. 31 2006
Sheri A.
on 7/20/10 11:16 pm
the blood transfusion is ok but you have to stay overnight in the hospital, it takes a long time to do the transfusion and they have to check your blood levels.

the centrum chewables taste bad...get the spectravite chewables from CVS...much better.

however, they don't have iron.

the vitron C is in the larger shop rites and in rite aid.

DJ
on 7/16/10 5:03 am - Parsippany, NJ

I have been iron deficient for what seems like forever. I am 5 yrs out.. was anemic prior to surgery as well. but not low enough to not to the surgery..
I cannot find one that doesn't bother me..
I also have trouble timing my med now as i just quit the routine. It was making me feel like I took in more pills than food.. so needless to say.. iron and I don't mix..

Most Active