preparing for surgery

Richard H.
on 6/23/03 8:39 pm - Woodstown, NJ
Is there anything I can do to help prepare myself for the drastic changes to my life? Surgery is on Aug. 20, & I want to try to get ready. Any suggestions??
Karen S.
on 6/23/03 10:26 pm - Egg Harbor township, NJ
Dear Richard, I am also preparing for surgery. I have pre purchased my vitamins and have been taking them already. I have also began to eat smaller meals, six daily to get used to the idea and have began to drink at least two pitchers of water daily. Whatever you can do to exercise prior to surgery you should also try to get into a daily routine - easy stuff like walking, parking your car further away from the building you are going into, etc.. Daily prayer also helps. I feel that I am going to this surgery because it is an answer to my prayers, I feel like I am getting a second chance to really live. Good luck. I'll be praying for you. Karen Stratoti
B4real
on 6/24/03 9:05 am - NJ
Richard, I would get your medical supplies in for your after care. I had got these things at the drugstore, Sterile Gauze, Peroxide, medical tape (wide) wound cleanser, and baby wipes is a must. for cleaning drainage areas. if you have any.Hope this helps you. Have a successful op, and hang in there. See you on the losing side.
jerseyjuji
on 7/14/03 8:31 am
I would suggest increasing your protein intake, water intake, and exercise. Beginning about 1 mo. prior to my open RNY, I began to take 2 protein shakes as supplements every day, made sure the rest of my diet was nutritious, and drank-drank-drank water round the clock. I also began in earnest to remember my daily vitamins and got some exercise in everyday. I honestly believe all of this helped me in my speedy recovery. Do not give in to the temptation to have a month of "last meals" that result in weight gain...you will eat all of your favorite foods again. I am 3 wks out and am already enjoying some of my favorite meals, albeit much smaller portions! Good Luck to you! P.S. a great site for nutrition for wls is vitalady.com!
Most Active