Thinking about but afaid

Candy R.
on 6/26/03 2:48 pm - WOODBURY, NJ
I have read testamonies from a couple of people and all are talking about staying on a diet and excising. But couldn't they do this with out surgery? My problem is if I can't do it now what will make me do it after surgery?
Merrilee H.
on 7/3/03 9:45 pm - Washington, NJ
YOU WILL DO IT!!!!! You have to realize, like my doctor says, you will have no choice. Don't look at it as a diet. You'll never diet again. It's a "way of life" a total change in your lifestyle. Eat well and exercise for a healthy, new you. Not because you have to. My best friend had the surgery on January 7. She struggled with her weight loss and gain for the past 7 years. This women who was in a closed up shell has lost 108 pounds and 92 inches SINCE JANUARY!! She looks and feels wonderful. Her whole attitude toward life, her family and just her whole being has done a total 360. You have to have faith, YOU CAN AND WILL DO IT TOO!!!! I'm having my surgery on July 21st right there in Woodbury. It's the beginning of a whole new life. Good luck on your new beginning.
Peggy B.
on 7/3/03 10:06 pm - Middletown, NJ
Candy, If you are not sure then wait. You have to be completely ready and know in your heart that there is no other choice. This operation is another tool to learn about control and change old habits. You just can't eat after this operation. You start with liquids then to semi soft and then introduce foods gradually that your stomach can tolerate. During this time you really lose weight. When I got to solids I was on and still am an 875 calorie diet. I choose to stick with this diet closely, because we are given a certain amount of time to relearn how to eat with this new pouch. If we don't change our eating habits then there are no guaranttees that the pouch won't expand. Then we can be back to the weight or higher before the operation. I am close to my six month anniversary. I have lost 90 pounds. I am not hungary most of the time, but sometimes the food can call out. You see, our eyes have not been changed. They are still sending messages to the mind and it has not been altered either, so we still have to make choices. I do have to say that I am not interested in food much at this point. I have been told that it will change, so I am not taking any chances and trying to take full advantage of this phase. I couldn't start exercising right away because of a bad back. I have since gone for help with my back (two herneated discs) had an injection in it and am on the road to being pain free! I work out at a gym, swim and walk. I am feeling great and greatful for another chance! I have a friend that is post surgery 8 years and she works hard at keeping the weight off. She works out frequently (3-4 x a week) and watches her diet closely. She is back to being a normal person! Yet she is so much better off then before and is still so happy she had the operation. Good luck with whatever choice you make! Peggy B
Most Active