Pre-op diet here we go!

KatieinNewfoundland
on 6/22/11 11:54 pm - Canada
hey, I to saw dr pace but he never mentioned anything to be about losing weight.. other than I would once I get on the liquid diet.. should I be trying to lose right now since I am gonna be done before the summer is out, I know it will shrink your liver and be much better for you....
tlr681
on 6/23/11 12:33 am - Canada
Hey Katie, welcome to the site.  Everyone is wonderful and very supportive here.  Dr. Pace didn't ask you to lose weight so its completely up to you if you want to start now.  As you know you have to do three weeks of liquid diet which will certainly cause some weight loss and reduce the fatty deposits on your liver.  He didn't ask me to lose weight either but I really needed to have my surgery by the fall because I really need to be out looking for work by December so I offered to lose 30 lbs.  That would reduce my BMI from 49 to below 45 and put me at lower risk so he wouldn't mind doing me earlier. 

So the choice is yours if you want to start now.  My only thought is every pound you lose before surgery is one less you will have to lose after surgery.
   Tina         
Surgery:  VSG with Dr. David Pace
Surgery Date :  October 17, 2011.      HW: 280    SW: 252    CW: 235    GW:  140  
KatieinNewfoundland
on 6/23/11 12:56 am - Canada
This is very true,,,,  do you know when you will have yours done,, I saw him last week,, and is hoping to be in within a month or two???
tlr681
on 6/23/11 1:27 am - Canada
He said fall so I'm thinking September/October
   Tina         
Surgery Date :  October 17, 2011.      HW: 280    SW: 252    CW: 235    GW:  140  
KatieinNewfoundland
on 6/23/11 10:26 pm - Canada
hey I see you are from GFW and so am I,,,,  the chances of that eh
tlr681
on 6/24/11 7:16 am - Canada
Maybe we could get together for coffee next week.
   Tina         
TerrieNL
on 6/23/11 10:06 pm - Hr. Grace, Canada
Hi Katie... Welcome to the site. He must be satiafied with your BMI.
He probably figures just the 3 weeks on liquids will be enough for you.
He is doing the lower BMI patients first. He told me that if I lose 30 lbs.
he'll do me before Christmas or the new year.
  Terrie         
KatieinNewfoundland
on 6/23/11 10:26 pm - Canada
thank you so much,,, this is gonna be a very helpful site,,,  I saw him last week and he told me I would be done maybe before end of summer or at least before Christmas.. so I am soooooo anxiouis and can't wait.. but I think right now I may have the wrong thinking.. cause I have been ,,, well  I may as well eat those fries cause I can't eat them after....  : )  but after thinking and reading.... I am gonna start eating healthy now and that way I will have that much over with and have my body use to no Sugars... the sweets is gonna be my downfall.. I would give up a meal for chocolate....  so, I really need to warp my head around this now and get started.. 
TerrieNL
on 6/24/11 1:25 am - Hr. Grace, Canada
Good for you Katie. If you read my entry in section last meal. I was doing that and put
my BMI over his 60 limit. He said he likes his patience to be under 60 BMI is better for
surgery. So, now I need to lose the 30 lbs. that I had put on for him to do my surgery.
There is eating after surgery in moderation. and if you bake... you can use Splenda
for baking your chocolate treats. I have cut sugar and salt right out of my diet and  I
am not missing it at all. Splenda in my coffee etc.on cereal... it tastes great.
  Terrie         
KatieinNewfoundland
on 6/24/11 11:25 pm - Canada
yesss sounds good.. add me to fb if you have it,,, Kathy Buckley
Most Active