Pre-op diet here we go!

tlr681
on 6/20/11 9:32 pm, edited 6/20/11 9:42 pm - Canada
Okay, so I told Dr. Pace last Thursday that I would lose 30 pounds before surgery.  Took me a couple of days to work my head around to it and today is Day 1.  I am going on the Aitkins diet because that is the only one that has ever worked for me.  I have lost 24 lbs in one month before on this diet.  I've never been able to stick with it for much more than an month but I can usually maintain the weight loss for a couple of months afterward.  My plan is to stay on Aitkins until I leave for vacation July 29 and then maintain my weight loss over my three weeks vacation.  I get back from vacation around August 20 and I hoping not too long after that I will have to do the 2 week liquid pre-op diet that should help me lose a few more pounds.  I have 5 and 1/2 weeks until my vacation and I want 25 pounds gone by then. 

The Aitkins diet consists of eating mainly lean meat, low carb veggies, eggs and cheese.  Many of the same things we will eat once we're on solid foods after surgery.  In order for me to lose weight on this diet I will have to keep my carbs below 20 per day which is not easy.  Expecially since theses day I get shaky if my blood sugar drops below 5 (and tired if it goes above 6 - Crazy Hey).  I tried this diet last month and only lasted 5 days (lost 7 1/2 pounds) because my blood sugar regulated itself at about 4.9 and I constantly felt weak.  This time weak or not I'm going to stick with it.  Hopefully at some point down the line my body will adjust.  After all, what's 5 weeks out of the rest of my life.  If this gets me to the point that I need to be for surgery this fall then so be it. 

Wish me luck.
   Tina         
Surgery:  VSG with Dr. David Pace
Surgery Date :  October 17, 2011.      HW: 280    SW: 252    CW: 235    GW:  140  
TerrieNL
on 6/21/11 2:17 am, edited 6/21/11 11:58 pm - Hr. Grace, Canada
Well, 30 lbs. must be the magic number. That's what he asked me to lose too.
I started on Fri. the 17th. and I have 6 lbs. gone already....whooo hooo. I couldn't
believe it when I stepped on that retched scale ( the enemy) this morning. It's the
first time I checked it. Maybe I can start thinking of it as a friend after all. i am not
finding it too difficult to stay on my diet because I chose to do one that I like. I've got
to have bread or I would starve... so, I only eat whole wheat, love my fresh fruit and
veggies, So, I eat  breakfast of whole wheat toast, or raisin bran, or Special K. Then
a boost everyday for lunch... and then a light supper. drinking lots of water, if I have
anything at night it's fruit like an apple or grapes. or carrot sticks dipped in light 
dipping sauce. Nothing fried. and not a lot of starches. a little bit of pasta to make
like tuna salad. It is working for me anyway. Good Luck with yours Tina... I'll be
routing for you. I have to go now and figure out how to put the weight scale thingy
in ... if you are brave enough to do it so can I....

Trying again to see if it works... please be here now...>LOL
  Terrie         
TerrieNL
on 6/21/11 2:28 am - Hr. Grace, Canada
Trying to get the scale thing in here how do I do it??? Can someone help?
tlr681
on 6/21/11 8:03 am - Canada
Go into tools and click on widgets and tickers.  Follow the instructions to set up you ticker and then tick "add to my signature".  Then when you post a message tick "include my signature" at the bottom.  That should do it.
   Tina         
Surgery Date :  October 17, 2011.      HW: 280    SW: 252    CW: 235    GW:  140  
TerrieNL
on 6/21/11 11:15 pm - Hr. Grace, Canada
Okay, Thanks Tina... I was trying to do it health tracker...
thats' what I thought it was...LOL 
TerrieNL
on 6/22/11 1:35 am - Hr. Grace, Canada
Finally after a lot of trying I got my signature there but no ticker message
thing with my weight. I have it done on that page but it is not going into
messages.What am I doing wrong?
  Terrie         
tlr681
on 6/21/11 5:02 am - Canada
Good for you Terrie.  He didn't tell me 30 pounds.  I offered.  He didn't want to do my surgery until the end of the year because I was in the mid-range weight wise.  I said I would lose 30 pounds because I knew that would get my BMI down under 45.  That way he would consider doing my surgery earlier.
   Tina         
TerrieNL
on 6/22/11 1:41 am - Hr. Grace, Canada
Ohhhh, that's where he got it from... from you. He came in to see me after you
and figured if you were going to do 30 for him, I might as well too....LOL
Thanks a bunch....
  Terrie         
tlr681
on 6/22/11 1:47 am - Canada
Remember without that 30 lbs he wouldn't do your surgery until next year.
   Tina         
TerrieNL
on 6/22/11 11:37 pm - Hr. Grace, Canada
 I know and I can do it... I'm on my way with 7lbs. and counting.
How are you doing? Sticking to it?
  Terrie         
Most Active