Protein Supplements

tlr681
on 7/8/11 6:40 am - Canada
 I've been stocking up on protein supplements.  I now have 30 bottles of high protein Vanilla Boost and 32 bottles (came in bonus packs of 8)  of high protein Chocolate Boost.  I also have three large tubs of Whey Protein Isolate powder one ea*****hocolate, vanilla, and unflavoured.  I have read on verticalsleevetalk.com that Whey Protein Isolate is the only protein suplement form we can easily absorb after surgery.  Be careful of products that say Whey Protein, they often contain several forms of Whey Protein, some of which we can't absorb.

I'm not really sure about the Boost.  I took a look at the label but could not tell what form of protein is in there.  I will probably limit my Boost after surgery to one a day and use the powders for the remainder. 

I have not tried any of these yet.  I'm really hoping I can stomach them.  I think I'll try one of each over the next few days.  No point buying more if I can't get them down.
   Tina         
Surgery:  VSG with Dr. David Pace
Surgery Date :  October 17, 2011.      HW: 280    SW: 252    CW: 235    GW:  140  
TerrieNL
on 7/8/11 10:52 pm - Hr. Grace, Canada
I found them pretty good Tina. Just be sure to shake them up a lot first.
They settle and you will find them lumpy. The Mocha one I found the best.
First I am hearing about the Whey stuff... what is that for?
  Terrie         
tlr681
on 7/9/11 1:57 am - Canada
After we have surgery when we are on liquids it is extremely important to get enough protein.  It aids in healing, make you feel fuller longer and is an essential part of our diet.  I think we are supposed to get 60-80 grams a day.  Even after we are on solid food it is difficult to get that amount of protein in so most people still need to add protein supplements. 

Protein supplements come in many different forms.  Whey comes from milk.  It is a certain portion of the protein in the Whey called Whey Protein Islolate that is most easiest abosorbed by people with VSG.  I have even heard that it is the only protein supplement we can absorb but I don't know if that is true.  When you look at protein powders in the store you will see Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein,  Soy Protein Isolate, etc.  Look for the ones that say 100% Whey Protein Isolate.  That way you will know you are absorbing the maximum amount of protein you can.  The ones I have are Presidents Choice and contain 37-38 grams of protein per serving (3 scoops).  Mixed with one cup of milk it will give you another 9g of protein for a total of 46-47 grams of protein in one serving.  The unflavoured one has 27g of protein per serving (1 scoop) and you can mix it with milk or add it to chicken broth, etc.  They say you should not add protein to really hot liquids because it will change the consistency of the protein and kind of cook it and it will not taste good.  The trick is to let them cool a little before you add the protein. 

May people don't like the taste of most protein powders.  There is one called UNJURY that many people on www.verticalsleevetalk.com say they like.  their website is www.unjury.com Many people especially recommend the ckicken soup flavour and the unflavoured.  I haven't tried the ones I have yet but if I don't like them I will try ordering some from UNJURY.  They have a sample pack you can order for less than $20 that gives you 5 different flavours to try. 

One thing that concerns me though is the say you taste can change after the surgery and even if you like one before surgery you may not necessarily still like it after surgery.
   Tina         
Surgery:  VSG with Dr. David Pace
Surgery Date :  October 17, 2011.      HW: 280    SW: 252    CW: 235    GW:  140  
TerrieNL
on 7/10/11 8:42 pm - Hr. Grace, Canada
Ohhh, I thought just drinking the Boost with Protein would be enough
plus taking vitamins.
  Terrie         
Tam180
on 7/9/11 9:43 pm - Conne River, Canada
It is very exciting reading your plans for your surgeries. I am so very happy for you.
Tammy

tracy-harding
on 7/10/11 5:59 am - Canada
Yes your taste can change i am finding that i dont have much taste for any thing any more.But thats not a bad thing.
jdeon
on 7/12/11 10:47 am - St John's, Canada
Hi guys!

Don't overstock on the Boost and Ensure - I have SO MUCH left over that I won't ever be using and feel like I waster my money. :(  I figured out early on that mixing the protein powder with skim milk is almost as many grams of protein (9 versus 12) and WAY less calories.

Terri, you will definately have to use the protein powders to get the recommended amount of protein - I still have to have a shake every day. A shake of powder and milk usually gets me 45-50 grams of protein in.

I only now getting to the end of my protein powders - I had a big tub of the Decadent Chocolate Whey Isolate from Costco and also a smaller tub of my favourite - Cafe Brazil (tastes like coffee) - that I got from the Popeye's Nutritional Supplement store at the corner of Newfoundland Drive and Portugal Cove Road.

What worked for me was using Ice Cubes to mix in with my shakes - more like iced smoothies then - and sometimes I add a banana.

(Sorry for being out of touch for so long. I'll try and update more soon."

x Jenn

- HW: 270 lbs. SW: 248 lbs. CW: 185 lbs.
The story of my journey back to health is here: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/jdeon/uzone,blog/action,view/blog_id,311677/

Most Active