Sleep Study

tlr681
on 7/26/11 9:54 am - Canada
I had my sleep study done on Monday night and got my results today.  Apparantly I stop breathing about 14 times an hour when I sleep on my back and 7 to 8 times an hour when I sleep on my side.  From what I understand the cutoff is technically 15 times an hour to be diagnosed with sleep apnea.  Dr. Fox said that since I will be having surgery and will be lying on my back for a few days he still wanted me to get a CPAP machine and use it until a couple of weeks after the surgery.  Then we will reassess me and make a decision from there.  Apparently it is normal to stop breathin up to 5 times per hour.  At least that is what the respiratory therapist told me when I went to get my machine.  I took your advice Terrie and got the mask that covers the mouth and nose.  Now I just have to get used to it. 

With regards to the sleep study itself the got me fitted with all the equipment and then took it all off and let me take everything in the carrying case and I didn't have to put it on until just before bed.  That was at St. Claire's so it may not work that way at the Health Science.  And when I brought the equipment back the next morning, they asked me to wait and gave me a copy of my report to bring to Dr. Fox since I had an appointment with him the same day.

OH, and Dr Fox told me that on the note he had gotten from Dr. Pace it said my surgery would be in late September.  YAY!!!
   Tina         
Surgery:  VSG with Dr. David Pace
Surgery Date :  October 17, 2011.      HW: 280    SW: 252    CW: 235    GW:  140  
newfie02_11
on 7/26/11 11:13 am - Canada
 My sleep study is tomorrow and I see Dr.Farrel on the 25th of august....my luck i will have to get the cap machine also....i think that i will have the same as you just put it on before bed and bring it back the next morning....maybe when i see the dr for results he will beable to tell me my surgery date....hell tomorrow night i will be so tired from taking care of my grandson
TerrieNL
on 7/26/11 9:30 pm - Hr. Grace, Canada
That's great news Tina. I bet you won't need the machine at all after the 2 weeks after surgery.
I stop breathing 47 times an hour. The full mask is bigger Tina but a lot more easy to get used
to. I had just the nose one but as soon as you open your mouth you feel like you are choking.
I am so glad you are scheduled for Sept. That is awesome news. You will be recovered in time
to look for work in prime time season. Enjoy your holiday. ( A little hint to get used to the mask...
once you are all hooked up and ready to sleep try to concentrate on your eyes and sleeping,
not your breathing. Let the machine do it's job. I found if you lay there and think about it, it
bothers you more.Flick the hose up over your head so it's not in your way. and just concentrate
on sleeping.)
  Terrie         
tlr681
on 7/26/11 10:01 pm - Canada
Made it through the first night.  I managed to keep it on all night but I woke a lot.  Now I feel more tired then ever.  I guess once I get used to it I won't keep waking up.  I found when I was trying to get to sleep the machine wanted me to breathe more than I wanted to.  I couldn't relax because the darn thing kept making me breathe.  I am afraid of becoming dependent on this thing and then not being able to give it up after the surgery.
   Tina         
Surgery Date :  October 17, 2011.      HW: 280    SW: 252    CW: 235    GW:  140  
TerrieNL
on 7/27/11 9:10 pm - Hr. Grace, Canada
Did they set it up to your number Tina? I know mine is 16 but you
wouldn't want it that high because you don't stop as much as I do.
I think during your sleep test they decide how much air you need to
blow out of that thing. and you just might not be used to it yet. Did
you hear them say what your level is? I'm guessing around 12 maybe.
  Terrie         
tlr681
on 7/27/11 9:31 pm - Canada
This one is automatic.  It starts at 6 and works up to what you need.  It can go up to 20.  I found it a little easier last night.
   Tina         
jdeon
on 7/28/11 11:23 pm - St John's, Canada
Tina, I stopped using mine a few weeks ago - the weight loss will make a big difference.

YEAH SEPTEMBER!!!!!

Most Active