New member - met with Dr. Pace today

jblockyer
on 8/17/11 11:34 pm
Hi, I am new to the board, but I have been here before, reading and thinking about surgery. It was here that I found out that beriatric surgery was coming to NL. It was this board that gave me the information I needed to ask my family physcian to put a referral in to Dr. Pace. And today I had my consult with him. I will admit I was a bit shocked as I thought it was just going to be a consult to go on a list (I didn't realize the surgery had already started) so I think I must have looked a little dumbfounded when he said he had already done a couple and was looking at starting 2 per week soon. I didn't see the researcher or the dietician today but he did say I was a candidate and that sometime around Christmas I would have surgery.

It freaked me out a bit to be honest - excited and worried all at the same time. I'm the single mom of a 6-yr old, so you always worry about the what-ifs. Coming here tonight has helped me again - so thanks for that.

Now I have to call in tomorrow I think - I didn't set up any follow up appointments or anything (again, did I mention I was a little dumbfounded that he said I could have surgery as early as December:)). So now I have a million questions and am anxious to get things rolling. Guess I'll be calling again tomorrow - now that my brain has calmed down a bit.

I love coming here to read about people who have gone through and understand the experience is survivable. :)  wow... I thought I would be waiting forever. :) Anyway, thought tonight was a good night to join - hope everyone is having a good one.

Jan
Mary C.
on 8/18/11 1:06 am - Glovertown, Canada

Welcome to the board Jen. Don't forget to read the main areas of the OH site as well. So much info here. Good luck to you - Mary 

newfie02_11
on 8/18/11 10:02 am - Canada
Hi thats when he told me I would be done and I can't wait...the only problem I have it I have gained 5 pounds since I saw him a couple of months ago but that is something for me to work on losing...This is a very informative place to find things out and its helped me out greatly....
jdeon
on 8/19/11 11:49 pm - St John's, Canada
Janice! Welcome to the board! Today is the my 3-month anniversary from getting sleeved and it is the luckiest thing I ever did. Hope you found my blog about the experience - hopefully it will provide some insight into the experience for you.

I am available to get together for coffee anytime you want to chat one-on-one - my son is 7 and I can also provide some perspective on what I told him about it all.

Cheers and congrats,
Jenn
jblockyer
on 8/24/11 12:03 am
jblockyer
on 8/24/11 12:05 am

Thanks Jenn - and everyone - thank you for the welcome! Your experiences and discussions have been a great help to me as I made my decision to try for the surgery. Jenn - I'd love to get together for a coffee - I was reading your thoughts about a support group and I would totally be on board for that. I am still waiting to hear on my testing and things but I am hopeful it will happen soon (or they will be hearing from me). I really look forward to getting to know everyone as I go through the process. I am very thankful they are finally offering this in NL. Jenn, I am so pleased to read of your success and your trials - it gives great insight into what we all have to look forward to. :)

Jan
tlr681
on 8/24/11 8:17 am - Canada
Hi Jan,

I have surgery coming up on September.  I have two kids 13 and 10 so the what ifs are big for me too but I combat them with the what if I don'ts such as my chances of being dead in 5 years are much much greater if I don't have this surgery than if I do.  If I don't have this surgery I will become less and less active with my kids, etc.  There is only one choice for me and I am doing it as much for my kids and I am for myself.  I want to be a happy active mom and this is the only way I'm going to be able to get there.

Tina
   Tina         
Surgery:  VSG with Dr. David Pace
Surgery Date :  October 17, 2011.      HW: 280    SW: 252    CW: 235    GW:  140  
Most Active