Newfoundland VS Ontario

Roxy7699
on 9/27/11 6:03 am
Hello,

I am from Ontario and am currently waiting for my surgery date for Gastric Bypass. My mom, is in Newfoundland and just got a referral to Dr. Pace for surgery too. I was wondering if anyone out there could tell us a little about the process in the province of Newfoundland?

For me I had to do the following:

Nov- referral to Bariatric Registery
Dec-Attended information session
Jan-Met with Dietitian
Feb-Met with Psychologist
March-Met with Dietitian again
April- Had Ultrasound, Ecocardiogram and Scope
July-Met with Surgeon
Aug- Attended post-op eating seminar
Currently waiting for surgery date.

How is the wait time in NL?

Thanks so much for any information you can provide :))))

Roxanne
TerrieNL
on 9/28/11 8:56 pm - Hr. Grace, Canada
In NL. right now it depends on your BMI. The doc. here is new to this surgery and is only
doing the lower BMI's at the moment. If your mom just got her refer. lately. I would guess
from what everyone else in here is saying, she has about a year wait.  Anyone who doesn't
already know has to have a sleep apnea test. an UpperGI, see dietician, etc. 3 week liquid
diet before surgery. He has done 10 surgeries so far. I was one of the 1st. on the list but I
have a higher BMI so I am still waiting. I am hoping to get done in Feb. Hope that helps.
  Terrie         
Roxy7699
on 9/28/11 11:46 pm
Hi Terry,

That does help...it helps a great deal. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

I hope you are able to go soon. For me, the waiting is worst than actually making the decision to have the surgery. I have a higher BMI as well. I am anticipaing that my surgery date will be in November this year. It has taken me about a year as well.

I wish you the best of luck on this journey. I have afriend who had the surgery almost three years ago and she has lost 150 lbs (half her body weight) and kept it off. Her life is completely changed.

Thanks again,

Roxanne
chan317
on 1/30/12 1:10 am - port aux basques, Canada
Hello
Any update on how long it is taking your mom to get the surgery?  I just my referral today.  Have you had your surgery yet?
Most Active