Is the Lap Band surgery performed in Newfoundland

chinablue
on 4/28/13 9:46 pm

Hi all....I am new to this site and for that matter I am new to the idea of weight loss surgery.After my initial research, I find that I am only interested in the Lap Band procedure, but I am unable to find out if it is performed in Newfoundland. Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

North330
on 4/29/13 3:31 am

It is not performed in Newfoundland...the people that I know who had it done...went to Ontario.  VSG is performed in Newfoundland.

chinablue
on 4/29/13 7:39 pm

Thanks for the info. Not fussy over the VSG prospect. Does anyone know if there are any discussions in the Health world about the band being brought onto the curriculum anytime soon? Thanks again 

Mary C.
on 5/1/13 5:12 am - Glovertown, Canada

I have never heard that it is being considered, but perhaps some of the people who have had VSG done in NL may have heard something at one of their appts or meetings of the support group. The band - brings with it a whole new requirement for appt for fills, unfills etc. I expect until there are more $ and doctors and people able to do the follow up care for post-op band patients - and who knows when that would be with the state our health care system is in - you won't find it being offered or covered by MCP. Having said that - it would not surprise me to see a PRIVATE service being set up and offered someday - on a self pay system of course.

Rhaine
on 6/10/13 7:57 am

if you do a lot of research, you'll see why the lap-band is not being done here. it is not as effective and there are risks... VSG is the new standard.

Most Active