Hello New Mexico, Hello Albuquerque!

ccrider
on 1/31/10 2:26 am

Hi there!  I am new to the New Mexico forum but have been a member of OH since 2008.  I had a sleeve done in January of 2008.  The surgeon who did my sleeve has since left the country.  I suppose a lot of you know who he is without me mentioning names. I was very blessed when I got the good news that Dr. Syn would be following me.  I have seen him many times in the past year.  I have a failed sleeve and I will be having a revision to an RNY.  My insurance has already approved the procedure and I have to give credit to all the providers i've seen, Dr. Syn and to my wonderful case manager with my health plan.  It's great to know that there's support here in Albuquerque.

I have one question.  If any one recently had surgery with Dr. Syn how long does he require you to stay in Lubbock before you can come back to New Mexico?  We have a 5th wheel and will be parking it at the KOA just east of Lubbock but I was just curious.  Not sure if I should bring my pet with me or keep him at home. He's my cat but he's also my baby.  lol

melly37
on 1/31/10 4:44 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
Did you have a botched surgery by Dr. Frezza, also?? 

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

ccrider
on 1/31/10 5:18 am

Hi Melanie!  It's me!  Yep Freeza  botched my surgery very badly!  I only got down to 161 and now I am weighing 182.  Wow you look great!  Acosta's group wouldn't touch me.  They said I was to high of a risk.  That's ok because Dr. Syn is God sent!  I am in school now so I am hoping the surgery will be during spring break!  How have you been?  

I haven't heard from you in ages!   

melly37
on 1/31/10 6:15 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
LOL !!  So glad I found you again!!  I was hoping it WASN'T you though since you are having problems!   I am having to have surgery in two weeks for a band slip.  Dr. Acosta really hates Frezza....he has had to fix so many of that man's mistakes.  It's unreal!!  What went wrong with your sleeve??

ccrider
on 1/31/10 6:38 am

I was having a lot of pain when I was eating for a while with it constricting at the top where Freeza put the mesh around it.  The mesh was suppose to create a scar tissue so the sleeve would not enlarge.  Well it did.  Freeza also told me he took out 70% of my stomach and that was not the truth. Dr. Syn said that Freeza took out less than he said.  Dr Syn has done two EGD to look in side and at one point he thought I might have Barretts esophogus which is pre cancerous.  The biopsy came out that it was just an inflammation. I was scared.  He was able to turn the scope around on itself which meant my stomach is now it's normal size. So all in all I have a failed sleeve.  I was wondering because I was following my diet and going to the gym 4 times a week doing cycling classes, weight training and aqua classes and I was gaining weight.  I started having to eat every two hours and I was so hungry I thought I was going to die.   Dr. Syn is also having to do revisions on Dr. Freeza's patients.  I wonder why Acosta thought I was so high risk.  Maybe because I was a sleeve and not a band.  OH well.  I like Syn.  He is very kind.  

So are they going to replace your band or are you switching over to a RNY? Or is he just going to fix it if he can? Let me know how it goes!  This time around should be easier.... We are pros at surgery...lol 

melly37
on 1/31/10 7:19 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
That's just crazy!!!  I am sorry you have to go through this.

Dr. Acosta is going to try and re-position the band, if he can't then he will put a new one in.  If there is any kind of erosion or infection he won't be able to anything but take out my band and send me home.  I can't live without my tool, so I don't want that happening!! 

I asked him about converting to RNY and he said that it wouldn't be a good choice for me.  Mainly because the band causes scar tissue that makes it hard to shape the stomach for RNY...that the chance for leaks is higher.  He also said that my insurance would probably not cover it since I have lost so much weight.  So, I will be okay with it all as long as I end up with a band in the end!  Dr. Acosta is a very nice and caring doctor also.  Love him

ccrider
on 1/31/10 8:36 am

You will do good!  I know there is a greater chance for leaks even with my surgery and the staple line.  Is your diabetes resolved?  Mine is but I still have high blood pressure.

Will you be staying in the hospital over night? 

Let me know how your doing!  I will be thinking of you!

melly37
on 1/31/10 10:41 pm - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
Thanks Cece!!  I need your well wishes!!  I presume that I will have to be in the hospital overnight.  My diabetes is not resolved, but I was able to come off of all of my meds about 5 months after surgery.  I don't ever check my blood sugar anymore because my machine broke.  I know it still goes high sometimes when I am eating wrong. 

ccrider
on 2/1/10 3:15 am

I think you have done really!  I know everything will go great and you will still have your band!  One day to stay in isn't bad at all.  I will probably be in 2 days and Lubbock is so flat.  There isn't much of a view.  I like mountians. lol  I am sure your diabetes must be resolved.

Take care!

melly37
on 2/1/10 3:24 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
Thanks' Cece!! You are the best!!  I know that Dr. Syn will fix you right up also!! 

Most Active