Mexico

waiting_patiently
on 5/20/11 3:37 am - Nova Scotia, Canada
VSG on 07/24/12
I have been in contact with Rachel Densmore and she told me they have only brought in 50 new patients since March of 2010 and didn't think they were going to see any more new patients until June.  Now figuring that out, 50 patients in 1 year and over 2000 on the waiting list.  I am at the bottom of the list as I was only referred in March 2010.  That is over a five year wait isn't it?

My BMI is 44.6, I have sleep apnea, depression, chronic lower back pain and a family history of heart disease.  This all went in with my referral and it hasn't made a difference.  Yay for our medical system.  People will die waiting for their surgeries.

I was wondering if anyone here has had their surgery out of the Country?  I am researching hospitals in Mexico and financing for the surgery.  If anyone else has done this, I sure would like to hear about your experience and recovery.
Jackie00
on 5/20/11 8:08 am
I am still trying to figure out how to come up with 10,000 USD to go to Mexico.  I figure with the flight that will be the rough cost of going there.
ruthann49
on 5/20/11 8:32 am - Canada
I'm in the same boat as you and am very discourged, Have you ever gone on the sleeve forum? There are lots that go to Mexico.My concern is that if you run into problems when you get home what do you do?
I also have severe sleep apnea, high blood pressure and depression.Both my parents died of heart disease.
I know a girl who lives in Ontario but went to NY for her RNY and it was paid for by Ontario.*
Anyway good luck with your research and keep us posted.

Jackie00
on 5/20/11 3:46 pm
I know the drs here say they won't look after anyone that has the surgery anywhere else, but hey, they really don't have a choice if you show up in emergency with complications they will have to deal with you.
I do read the other forums and find that lots went to mexico, so that is not my fear.  I just have to come up with the cash.  I am also trying to find a booklet on my medical insurance and wondering if they cover a percentage?  Or can you claim this on income tax under the medical?  I don't see why not, it really isn't cosmetic surgery.
I just know trying to come up with the 10 grand to go is going to be fun, it will probably take me 3 yrs unless I really aim at putting away a bit out of each pay cheque but I am sure something will come up that will require that money first.
jacquelinemac
on 5/21/11 6:59 am - stellarton, Canada
careful  if you run into problems    the doctors here will not help you  i know i had an infected lap band  they told me theres nothing they could do for me  go back to your surgeon  i live in nova scotia  my surgeon is in moncton     so buyer beware   if you go outside of you province  and you have problems  your in trouble   however  i have heard there a doctor  in amherst that will do repairs  but again buyer beware this is the same doctor  who use  to work in halifax  doing gastric bypasses  he retired an they didn`t bother tell any patients that they were no longer doing surgeryies    but he doing them in amherst again   so think long and hard  about going out of provience  
Jackie00
on 5/21/11 1:19 pm
well a VSG is a permanent thing, so if you returned home and 5 months down the road you ran into complications they really can't turn you away at emergency if you have problems, no matter who does the surgery or any other type of surgery for that matter. 
waiting_patiently
on 5/23/11 5:38 am - Nova Scotia, Canada
VSG on 07/24/12
kimberleyann
on 5/23/11 8:20 am - Kingston, NS, Canada
 As for the travel advisory about travelling to Mexico, I have just got back from a 2 week vacation in Playa Del Carmen and it was fabulous.  I believe with the organized transport to and from hospital from Texas, any worries about travelling to Mexico are not really a problem. If you were travelling on your own and wandering around town on your own in Mexico it might not be wise. but for a medical trip it shouldn't be a problem.  With the wait list in NS I am looking at Mexico for surgery as well, just need to find the cash. Funny I can find it to vacation there but not to have surgery there. I need to rethink my priorities.

waiting_patiently
on 5/23/11 8:37 am - Nova Scotia, Canada
VSG on 07/24/12
Who do you think you will go with?  There are so many doctors in Mexico.  Why are some so much more expensive than others?
kimberleyann
on 5/23/11 8:44 am - Kingston, NS, Canada
 Not sure yet, Dr Alvarez seems to be a top contender. Still just thinking about self pay. more worried about after care here in ns should there be a problem. I think some of the procedures are more expensive because it includes a weeks stay at a resort nearby maybe. 

Most Active