OT - Ideas for VSG-friendly NS Vacation?

karenmac3
on 10/27/11 4:46 am - Dunlap, IL
Hi Everyone!
As you can see, I am in IL, but have a Nova Scotian husband Next summer, we'll be headed "home" for a visit that will go 9 days or so. His family's in a couple of different places, and we usually try and do something for just the 2 of us for a couple of days as well.

I'm getting sleeved in a couple of weeks, and booking this trip makes me a little nervous. It seems like 90% of what we do when we've been there is *eat* while visiting with family and friends. I know that I'll be in decent shape and eating a little more normally by that time, but was hoping to get some ideas about other things to do! My husband's "been there done that" and is leaving it to me to decide what I want to do. His family is in the New Glasgow and Wolfville areas...I haven't been to Lunenberg yet, so am thinking about that as an option.

Any advice & / or helpful hints for staying successful would be most appreciated!
 38 yrs old, 5'8"   HW: 338   SW: 307.2   CW: 235.0

Jackie00
on 10/27/11 11:37 am
the only tip I can give is to stay away from New Glasgow lol the food is too good there. Sorry no ideas of the other places, in the city here and not crazy about the restaurants here so it is all good here.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

peigirl
on 10/28/11 1:37 am - Alberton, Canada
I would suggest doing the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton.  Stay around Baddock for a few days.  You can go whale watching in Halifax or Digby, great fun.  Lots to do but why don't you visit NS Tourism site and see what they recommend?

Citykitty
on 10/28/11 6:58 pm - Sydney, Canada
Hi Karen,

I would also suggest the Cape Breton area.  The Cabot Trail is absolutely beautiful and you could spend a couple of days doing that - there are some gorgeous hiking trails along the Cabot Trail and Baddeck is great for a little shopping - not major shopping but touristy stuff.  If you did a few days in Cape Breton and a few days around the Lunenburg area that would take up a lot of your time.  I think if you get in touch with the tourist bureau also I believe there are trail guides that you can get which describe hiking trails, the length and difficulty of each trail, etc.  anyway, good luck!

CaperGal
on 10/29/11 12:23 pm - Sydney Mines, Canada
well I live in Cape Breton and proud to say it. lol Yes the  Cabot Trail is beautiful. If you go into Baddeck you can go to the Alex Gram bell museum. Also there is the Louisburg
Fortress, Miners museum and more places I can't remember.Or go to NovaScotia.com and u will see how great our NS and CB are. Have fun. 
cornflkegrl
on 10/31/11 5:43 am - Halifax, Canada
Wolfville-valley area is a wonderful area for local fresh produce such as veggies and  berries. Also, lunenburg is known for it's fresh seafood. 
karenmac3
on 11/4/11 2:14 am - Dunlap, IL
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for all the good ideas next summer. My surgery is on Tuesday next week, so I'm sure by that point I will have learned how to live with my new tummy.

I think we're going to try Lunenberg this time around. We've actually been to Cape Breton (last trip or the one before) and it is stunning. Next time we go, I want to spend more than the couple of days we're going to have this timeso we can really enjoy. We did make it to the Bell museum, though, and it was very cool.

Many thanks regarding all the good local veggies and fruit in the Wolfville area - when things get closer I'll see if they have a farmers market and get my sister-in-law to join me. I know that we visited a wonderful cheese place the last time we were there, so am going to have to search for that again too

When we're in New Glasgow, I think we'll be staying somewhere where there's a mini-fridge and microwave in the room. At least for some meals, I should be able to keep lunchmeat and cheese and other basics there, then load up as we're headed out to visit. There may be times where I choose not to eat with the family, but know my hubby will be OK with my decisions.

Again, thanks everyone - much appreciated!
 38 yrs old, 5'8"   HW: 338   SW: 307.2   CW: 235.0

Most Active