Anyone know what year they are currently at?

PeaceOm
on 4/21/14 1:43 am - Canada

I am sure this is a common question. I am only 3 years out but I was wondering if anyone knew what year they were up to.

I am also interested in any help/guidance about making the folder/notebook. Do you simply copy ALL the paper and forms and stick them in a notebook?

Thanks so much.

B in NS

PeaceOm
on 4/22/14 12:21 pm - Canada

The main reason I am asking is because when I spoke to the office recently they mentioned being at 2008 referrals. I then looked through this site and see many people from post dating back to 2012 saying they were referred in 208 so I am left thinking to myself. Have they not gotten past 2008 referrals in the last 2+ years?

DustyB
on 4/23/14 4:40 am - Canada

Do not know what year they are working on.  Seems the most secretive system.

On the list for 4 years.  No info whatsoever.

pickles999
on 5/12/14 10:21 am - Canada

I had my surgery 2 years ago September. I was 9 years on the list. When I went for my last follow up appointment I asked how long the list was as my husband was interested. 14 years !! He went to Tijuana and got it done.

PeaceOm
on 5/13/14 9:42 am - Canada

There is no way I can afford Mexico. It is so hard to afford food and bills here. Is there nothing to be done to effect some change??? 

DustyB
on 5/13/14 2:16 am - Canada

Oh my God,  I won't last that long.   I thought 4 years was long - now another 10 year wait !!!   I'm in my late fifties.

My NS government has left me with 3 options:

1)  Try to save lots of money

2)  Move to Ontario (where my children are working)

3)  Get ready to go to Heaven

1 - Not sure from where this will come.

2 - I want to stay in my home but moving out of province to go on living will have to be considered.

3 - I am ready.

Shame on NS.  Even with a change of government, no one is there for us.

pickles999
on 5/14/14 4:42 pm - Canada

I agree with you both. Nova Scotia govt is not doing anything to make this list shorter either. The surgery is tax deduct able if you go abroad since the list is so long. That is about it.

i thought about moving as well to have the surgery covered in another province. Thought of a lot of things while I grew bigger every passing year on the list.

if I knew what I know now, how the surgery gave me a new life, I would have sold my home if I had to to go get it done.i feel stupid waiting so long  but I was afraid. Afraid of the surgery itself, and afraid of going abroad. After I had the surgery that fear was gone :-).we knew all about it then, the surgery, recovery and how life will be after and my husband didn't want to wait the 14 years so he did LOTS of research and picked a Dr in TJ. It was a wonderful experience and for the cost of a nice holiday (and a lot less than a move to another province) he had the surgery. We were very impressed by the clinic, Dr and the outcome.

I was so impressed I am booked with a different surgeon in Mexico who specializes in massive weigh loss patients for a lower body lift, thighs, breast and arms in June. Now that is a big surgery, will be there 12 days and is about 3x more than the sleeve.we are regular working people and I will be paying for years to come but I would rather do that than stay the way I am . I know not everyone can do that.

i tell my story to anyone who will listen. There is help out there ! The sleeve works, the govt needs to open their eyes and see that. Obesity is a disease and for me it was an addiction too. As much as an alcoholic or addict needs their substance no matter what the cost ( I think we all know how devastating they can be) I could not control food. Even though I gained weight, developed medical conditions because of the weight and the impact it had on my quality of life, I could not stop. I dieted my whole life and got bigger and bigger. And look, a 45 minute surgery is all it cost and I am cured ! How much did I not cost the govt in the long run now that I am no longer overweight ? And most of all, I have a new life..an amazing new life...free of the weight and the addiction.

pickles999
on 5/14/14 4:50 pm - Canada

I forgot to add. The wait is until you gett the call that you go to the info session. Then you wait a month or two. There are 40 some other people at the meeting, everyone is approved unless medically somehow you can't do it. Then you go on a diet and they work through the group. I waited another 6 months for my turn. If you cannot follow the diet plan you get dropped to the back again ..not the 14 year list but you go away for another couple of months until you are able to follow the plan. Then you wait for a date..perhpas another 3--6 months so from the call to surgery plan for another year in the system. If/when you get the call MAKE SURE you have followed the plan or be prepared to wait longer. Losing the weight is WAY easier with the sleeve but being able to feed your body after surgery (by being prepared before) is essential. It makes your new sleeved life easier to adapt to.

PeaceOm
on 5/15/14 2:12 pm - Canada

Thank you so so much for taking the time to give so much info. My biggest problem is that I am on the cusp of the BMI without co-morbidities. So if I diet now and lose weight , I would not qualify. I usually fluctuate about 7 pounds or so and when I am on the low end I am 39 and on the high end 40 for BMI. I am stuck with the weight because of financial limitations and in this market, where we live, my house would not sell. But I read read read here and I wait and I try to stay positive. 

Anyhow thank you again for all the info. 

DustyB
on 5/15/14 2:23 pm - Canada

Yes, thank you for all the info.

it's extremely tough knowing this surgery is far from my reach but reading other peoples thoughts somehow keeps me hoping against hope.

thanks

Most Active