Out of Pocket Cost Question - Dr. Atkinson HPN ins.

2random74
on 10/2/10 11:45 am
I understand that HPN only provides for $5000 of the cost.  I was just wondering how much you were required to come out of pocket with at time of surgery.  Thanks
MaryMount
on 10/22/10 3:48 pm
I haven't had the surgery but am in the process (almost done with the 3 month nutritionist appointments) and I was told that they expect the whole cost to be covered before you can actually have the surgery.  I was given 2 phone numbers and a website that they use to help with "financial aid". 
Shana16
on 1/18/11 1:22 pm - Las Vegas, NV
I was wantint to know the samething but for United Health Care, I have to pay 20% for mine.  But I think that I have to pay for it up front for the hospital, Desert Springs. Can anyone help???
 LIVE HOPE DREAM

Shana

LVJ **
on 1/19/11 6:03 am - NV
Here is what I posted on the "Desert Springs Hospital" posting.  Hope it helps a little.

Let me say that this was for my first procedure, the Lap Band. I  have since had an emergency revision, and now have the sleeve.  I had HPN, but switched to a PPO to have better insurance coverage.  The hospitals were in fact requiring their portion of the bill be paid in full prior to the procedure.  Insurances are tricky.  They pay whomever submits their bill first.  There will be the hospital, an anestehsiologist, your surgeon, Radiology, lab, etc, that will bill your insurance. I would find out what kind of "cash" discount you can get from the hospital for paying up front.

Post Date: 1/19/11 1:52 pm

I did have to pay my  entire deductible and a deposit on my co-insurance up front. Although my procedure was not at Desert Springs, it was at one of their "sister facilities." Even as an employee of the hospital, I was required to pay because it was an elective procedure.

Most "elective" surgery procedures must be paid (at least a deposit) on or before the day of surgery.  You probably have an annual deductible, then you pay your co-insurance (20% of "contracted rate") with an out of pocket maximum of X amount of dollars. That is how most PPO insurances work. The amount a hospital requires is per their own written policy. If you have not met your deductible (which unless you've paid your Surgeon, you may not have. They reset on January 1st.  The hospital will probably require you to pay your deductible in full. I would contact your insurance company and verify your exact benefits just for your own personal knowledge.  Then you are prepared before calling the hospital.

You can call the hospital and ask for the Financial Counselor. I believe her name is Paula and her phone number is 702-369-7522 They will be able to tell you what you will be required to pay prior to going back to the OR.

Good luck to you!

Shana16
on 1/19/11 9:03 am - Las Vegas, NV
Thank you that was most helpfull!!!!
 LIVE HOPE DREAM

Shana

LVJ **
on 1/20/11 2:08 am - NV
You're welcome, no problem.

Good luck to you!

Most Active