sleep apnea

on_mels_mind
on 3/29/11 11:42 pm - Canada
I was scheduled for the sleep clinic for testing on March 20th. My family doctor had sent the request in because she said it is procedure for the bariatric process.

I met with the doctor at the bariatric clinic on the 18th and was told I wasn't considered at risk for sleep apnea and that I wouldn't need to go for testing. Whoops.

So since it was already scheduled for 2 days later and I was told there is a $500 charge for cancelling with less than 48 hours notice, and that because of the hours they run the clinic I would have had to cancel on the 16th - I went to the sleep clinic on the 20th. That was a long night. I'm still not sure I got all the paste out of my hair. *sigh*

Ironically, I got a call on Monday telling me that the tests show that I DO have sleep apnea. (my husband's response was - "well, you did always say that breathing is over-rated." ha ha) So I guess the restless night wasn't a waste. So now I go back on the 9th to be set up for CPAP.

Question is - does anyone know if this discovery will extend the length of the pre-surgery process? Or once I get the CPAP thing at home am I good to go on with everything? I hadn't asked at my last appointment because I was told I didn't really need to go be tested anyhow. And does anyone know if this machine they said I need to get is covered on most medical coverage? We have green shield.

Thanks a bunch!
on_mels_mind
on 3/29/11 11:53 pm - Canada
hmm... i should probably explain my husband's remark. we have been together for 4 years. 2 of which i was pregnant for. pregnancy, combined with my allergies to everything including our pets and the outdoors, me being prone to sinus infections, and my having asthma, and the fact that he just a month ago finally quit smoking has led to periods of heavy breathing for me. (i'm sure others can relate.) he tends to ask me abnormally frequently if i am okay. "i'm good! don't worry! breathing is highly over-rated!" had become my smart @$$ response to him.
Karen M #2
on 3/29/11 11:57 pm - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 04/20/10 with
Hi,
I don't think the diagnosis of sleep apnea will make the pre-surgery process any longer. As for coverage, the Ontario Assistive Devices Program (ADP) helps cover some of the cost of CPAP (at ADP-Registered Sleep Labs only). You can find information here. Most insurance companies provide some coverage for the remaining amount from what ADP pays.
Hope this helps!
Karen

HW-328/SW-309/CW-163/GW-160
Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.  - Robert Collier

Follow me on Twitter!: Karen_M_2

MisterDiminishing
on 3/30/11 12:01 am - Windsor, Canada
It will not extend the length of the process.

The postivie diagnosis will make you that much more qualified for WLS though.

on_mels_mind
on 3/30/11 12:17 am - Canada
QueenBella
on 3/30/11 5:15 am - Mississauga, Canada
@on-mels-mind - finding out that you have sleep apnea will not prolong your process, I found out I had it in Janaury and had surgery in February  however you need to advise the doctors that you were tested and what your results are as they monitor you differently during and after surgery - you will also need to take your machine with you when you go to the hospital for your surgery.  The CPAP is covered for $780 only by the government - any amount above that you will be required to pay and then claim it back from your insurance company - the basic machine costs $1080.
Feb. 23rd - Surgery Date

Karen M #2
on 3/30/11 12:04 pm - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 04/20/10 with
You COULD resell it. I just remembered that some places rent them for short-term use... I think... you might want to ask about that, because if your sleep apnea is caused by being obese, you might not need it for very long. You will need to be retested once you lose some weight to determine if you still need it.

HW-328/SW-309/CW-163/GW-160
Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.  - Robert Collier

Follow me on Twitter!: Karen_M_2

dizzymisslizzy1976
on 3/31/11 3:17 am - Canada
I have some odd advice. I too was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea before my WLS.  If you can. RENT it. The reason is this.Not only are they very expensive. but most places give you a free trial and generally the mask that "comes" with it will never be a match for you anyways. it takes time to find a mask you are comfortable with or somtimes people opt for just the nose mask etc....and they all are different prices. I had my surgery and within a few weeks I had NO more snoring . and within a month I had NO more sleep apnea. It was amazing. And The machine sucks. Not many can get used to it. I had a hard time getting used to it and ripped it off unbenounced to me in the night.  :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/1;20757;28/st/20110709/k/9d70/preg.png[/img]
[/url]
Most Active
Recent Topics