Help - 6th day post-op. Is this Dumping or the Foamies?

Gabygee
on 4/10/11 1:14 am - Canada

I'm fresh on the bench, and so I need to establish definitions for my own body's reactions. I'd appreciate your input.
Last night, after an uneventful Full Fluids day, I tried vanilla Diabetic BOOST for the first time.
After about 20 minutes of sip-sip-sipping about 1/3 of it was down, and I started to feel quite odd.
It felt like it had passed through my stomach and was on its way through the bypass, but there was an awful lot of gurgling and some discomfort.
I stopped drinking it and waited.
Hmmm - now the discomfort was a little lower, and it was very active indeed, chruning like crazy, causing almost-pain. I tried walking around in circles like a madwoman to get it to move through, but now the belly cramping was starting to double me up.
I tried lying on my left side in the fetal position, which did lessen the discomfort, but the extensive movement inside didn't abate.
This was all definitely BELOW my stomach, closer to the large intestine.
After about an hour of this I started to get a little bit nauseous - and htat could've been from my hyperventilating while trying to ride out the spasms.
Nope - another 30 minutes, and I was on the bathroom floor. No diarrhea, but now retching.
And the discomfort had now graduated to to pain.
Finally after almost two hours, I vomited a small amount of clear foamy liquid, tasteless and not sticky - and immediately felt better.
Wiped out, I went to bed, and woke up weak (little protein last night) but okay.

Opinions please - was this dumping? Was this the foamies?
Is it possible that diabetic BOOST was mislabelled and there was sugar in it?

KristieA
on 4/10/11 1:25 am - Orillia, Canada
Although it is for diabetics it probably isn't the best for WLS. It is pretty high in fat and carbs. Sounds like dumping to me. I would stay away from Boost and Ensure.
(deactivated member)
on 4/10/11 4:12 am
I am having my surgery in Ottawa and the dietitian told me to drink Diabetic Boost and Ensure after surgery. Glad to hear it may not be the best. I will have to experiment but that sounds scary.  Gabyee, I hope you are feeling better, take care.
yvonnemm2010
on 4/10/11 5:42 am - Canada
Boost Diabetic is actually recommended by most clinics post surgery. Just make sure it is diabetic. Another option is Carnation no sugar added breakfast drink. I preferred that one. I don't know if Boost is lactose based. That is something to watch for as some complain of lactose intollerance post WLS. Good luck!
mermaidoz
on 4/10/11 5:24 am - Canada
Sounds like a double whammy to me:  first dumping, then the foamies....
Most Active
Recent Topics