Weird question

xibalba18
on 4/11/11 12:25 pm - Windsor, Canada
So I was wondering if at TWH, you get a catheter inserted during surgery...
Kelshy
on 4/11/11 12:27 pm - Cannifton, Canada
 While I didn't ask I would assume so for any center. During surgery you will have an IV filling you up with fluids... only makes sense that a catheter would be a good idea.

Chris

Feb 19 2010 Referral to Ottawa         Nov 24 2010 Orientation at TWH
Jan 25 2011 Nurse                               Feb 16 2011 Social Worker
March 10 2011 Psychiatrist                 April 8 2011 Surgeon
Surgery May 9 2011                             Bowel Obstruction/ internal Hernia Feb 13 2013  

suzyq0052
on 4/11/11 12:31 pm
I had my WLS at TWH March 2/11.. I specifically asked if I would be getting a catheter inserted for surgery.. the answer was NO..
I was instructed to go to bathroom right before I was walked into Operating Room for my surgery, and then did not get a chance to pass urine again til later that day when I was back in my room postop.
I was told that they usually DO NOT insert a catheter for the surgery. This surprised me considering the amount of IV fluids that are infused during surgery etc.. but, apparently they don't consider it a necessity.

When I attended my surgery information class in August 2010 at Windsor Regional Hospital the nurse from the bariatric clinic in Windsor told us to expect a catheter insertion preop, or
during surgery.. but apparently this is no longer standard routine at TWH.

suzyq0052

KristieA
on 4/11/11 12:32 pm - Orillia, Canada
I didn't have a catheter. I was up to pee a couple hours after surgery. It may be different for others, but that is how it was for me.

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

Janet13
on 4/11/11 3:38 pm - Toronto, Canada
I had surgery at TWH and didn't have one.
"I used to be SnowWhite and then I drifted"
"words come easy behind the screen, when there is no interface-to-face to be seen"

Andrew Thompson
on 4/11/11 8:59 pm - Canada
At ottawa no catheter was inserted per course. I however did need one. Damn bladder of steel.

Before the surgery I kept putting things off. I was never good enough. One of the benefits of WLS is that you start to believe in yourself. Check out my blog:
All Things CPAP

sam1am
on 4/11/11 10:18 pm
I didn't have a catheter in Montreal either.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Most Active
Recent Topics