Would my depression get better after WLS?

Joanne J.
on 4/21/11 12:44 pm - Canada
Hi all goodnight i been struggling with depression for over 5 years now it hasnt been easy and i have a whole list of health problems to go with it as you all know am waiting for gastric bypass surgery i was wondering if things would get better especially after losing weight/
.By  the way my depression is not from me overweight it was from a bad marriage but the weight has added a bit on to it now..

Thanks!
Leslie W.
on 4/21/11 12:50 pm - Cobourg, Canada
I am relatively new here, but as someone dealing with depression for 7 years surgery is not the  answer for dealing with it.  Hoping that you are speaking with your Doc or therapist while waiting. I am sure that with weight loss it will help but from what I have seen here on this site it is not easy. Just admitting that there is a problem is a great step, Hope that things improve for you soon.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Joanne J.
on 4/21/11 1:08 pm - Canada
Hi thnx for the reply and am new here also..i know i need counselling and iw il ge tit but i want the surgery also for my health cause im having trouble losing it.. what surgery are you getting?
i have improved alot on it i take medication and when i use to workout i felt alot better but i havent been able to do much exercise as my back hurts and i just dont have the energy to do anything..
where are you having your surgery i was sent to st joseph now i ask for hrrh and am waiting now. what about you?
Leslie W.
on 4/21/11 1:15 pm - Cobourg, Canada
Think it will be at TWH. Have my first orientation on May 25th. I hear you exercise and pain. It is hard to get motivated when you are sore. For me I found getting a therapist really helped to put things into prepective.She had a Social worker background. With her and my Doc we got things on the right track.  Not sure what surgery they will offer but most likely RNY. Have lots to lose.
Developed Sleep Apnea over the past couple of years now blood tests showing more issues.
Plus would love to get into regular size clothing!

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
sam1am
on 4/21/11 1:11 pm
I don't believe that weight loss surgery will help with depression, unfortunately.  In fact, when losing weight rapidly a lot of hormones are released and some people have increased, temporary problems. As long as your depression is being controlled, surgery should be available to you and hopefully the bit that has added to your depression from weight, may be lifted.

Good luck!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Joanne J.
on 4/21/11 1:35 pm - Canada
LaurenR
on 4/21/11 2:15 pm - Kemptville On, Canada

Hi Joanne
It won't heal your depression but it will help your selfesteen and make you a stronger person to aide in fighting your depression.
That is how things have went for me thus far but I do fall back once in a while when life get too overwhelming. 
I also suffer with agoraphobia so thats a challange in it's self but I keep putting myself out there. 
Here is a poem that might help you...

When the magic begins
You’re only a moment away from being more positive and effective than you’ve ever been. You’re only a moment away from living life at its highest level.

The only thing holding you back is your choice to keep yourself back. That’s a choice you can change right now.

You’ve gone long enough evading and avoiding your best possibilities. Now it’s time to accept that you’re absolutely worthy of the rich, fulfilling life you truly desire.

That life can begin to be yours right now. That life can start the moment you decide to stop hiding from the unique beauty of who you truly are.

Yes, it will take effort, determination, faith, commitment and discipline. And every moment of it will be infused with the irreplaceable joy of knowing you’re being true to your own highest destiny.

Go ahead, from where you are, with what you have, and choose to be an active participant in the unfolding of your best possibilities. This is your life, this is your day, and this is when the magic begins.
All the best to you hon on your journey
HUGS
LaurenR

Surgery Aug 2008   Start weight 309lbs  June 2012  Present weight 125lbs

2009 update pic shown here.

Joanne J.
on 4/21/11 11:12 pm - Canada
Well thank you Lauren that was very good words of ancouragement i appreciate it havent had postiive words said to me in along time..not gonna lie i had alittle tear from reading it but it was happy tear lol..I think because am tying to make myself healthier it would be good for me its  ajourney and am ready to go through it with everyone's help i am glad i found this site to meet such beautiful folks like you.
ToNewBeginnings
on 4/22/11 12:02 am
The truth is depression can be an issue after surgery. And suicide rates are higher for post-op patients. I asked why and the answer I was given was "we don't really know".
My own personal thinkingis this: being overweight most of our lives and many of us morbidly at some point, we believe that our lives will be better if only we could lose the weight. Then after surgery we lose the weight but our lives in our head are very similar. How do we handle this?
Joanne J.
on 4/22/11 12:39 am - Canada
Well i plan on getting counselling throughout the whole ordeal and doing whatever it takes to get better ..my focus is not on weight loss as much as if it would make me healthier by using it as i have health problems i know what my depression is its with my issue with my husband and we seperated right now he ask us to go to counselling but am not sure if i want to get back wth him..
I just want to move on and be a better person for me and my kids i have 4 .. 2 boys 2 girls oldest boy is 24 other boy is 19 and girls are 14 and 9 and boy are they good kids so helpful with me they are my rock and strength.
And i have support from my church team so i think ill be ok. mentally i know i am althouh i can use some strength like lauren said its my self esteem more of an issue i think losing the weight will make me look and feel awhole lot better..

joan x
Most Active
Recent Topics