Thunder Bay Bariatric Team

Roxy7699
on 5/27/11 11:21 am
Hello,

I am in the process of working with the bariatric team at Thunder Bay Regional Health Centre and am finding the process very challenging. I like to think that I am a pretty easy going person but this whole process has really brought out the worst in me. I am not connecting with the staff and find their lines of questioning insulting and demeaning, to be perfectly honest. I have been told that my file would be released to Hamilton for surgical date on two occassions now and each time something new comes up at the next apt to delay it's release. I was just wondering if anyone else is having the same experience or if it is just seomting with me? I keep getting my hopes up only to be crushed and when I express my frustration, I get a nonchalant what's the rush reponse. The rush is this is my life we are talking about!!!

My last appointment with the Psychologist went very badly and ended in my ending the conversation and him telling me that he thinks I am not a good candidate for surgery and that he has reservations about my sucess post-operatively. I was frustrated becasue he kept asking me what was going to make me sucessful post-op when I haven't been sucessful before? I gave him my honest answer (journaling, eating healthy, the ability to manage portion control through having a smaller stomach and feeling full faster, exercise). He said "but isn't that something you have already tried in the past? So, what's going to be different?" I said that I was giving my honest answer and I really found his responses hurtful "well, life is full of motivated people but motivation doesn't gaureentee sucess", "its not like it was before that any person with a warm body would get to have the surgery."

I am really upset and in somewhat of a crisis here. I don't know what to do. I can not continue to work with this Psychologist. The Program Co-Ordinator called me to talk about my session with him and I told him it wasn't a good time. I don't know what to do. I feel so humiliated and powerless. He doesn't even know me, how does he know if I will be sucessful or not? He has only spoken to me on two occassions. I see myself as having a variety of tools that will make me sucessfull post-op. I am crushed and don't even know if I am being considered for surgery at this point.

Any feedback on your experiences good or bad  are welcomed.

Jennifer D.
on 5/27/11 11:56 am
I have seen this kind of intimidation before, especially in developing programs. I would call the program coordinator back when you can calmly express yourself. Maybe prepare what you are going to say ahead of time. If they are reasonable hopefully they will see that you are a sensible person who is fully aware of what they are getting themself into.
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
sweet76
on 5/27/11 12:26 pm
Glad to finally have someone feeling the same.  I'm going through the process through the Thunder Bay center as well, and I just don't feel like its a warm inviting environment.  Plus the fact is that I started with My orientation in Nov/10, and I know of people who have started the process after me (Feb/11) who have had their scopes done, and appts set to see the surgeon via telehealth.  Don't get me wrong here, I'm not complaining or whining in any form, I have been patiently awaiting what comes along, however when calling the office to ensure a scope was booked for you (only once) and the next week you are met with a letter in the mail saying don't phone us we'll phone you...its a tad discouraging.  Ron said 8 months approximately....for me I imagine it will be a lot longer.
Megan M.
on 5/27/11 12:38 pm - Canada
I had orientation on October 1/10, and at that time Ron did say 8 months.  However, due to the demand for this service they now say 8-12 months.  Keep in mind that it's not just Thunder Bay patients involved with St Joe's - there's all the patients from the other designated areas as well.  There is currently a third surgeon being trained at St Joe's as we speak, so once this doctor is up and running, it will go a long way to help things move along.  Try to be patient.  My orientation was October 1, ultrasound was end of December, scope mid-Feb, finally teleconference is set for June 21, and hopefully surgery will be July/August-ish.

One more thing, just in case you were unaware - they put in a request for the scope which is sent to the surgeon's office.  Once he gets his OR schedule, the surgeon's office books your appointment and sends you a letter with the date.  Bariatric unit does not book the scope - they only send the referral.  My scope was Feb. 10, followup was 6 weeks later where I was told I'd need another scope, and just two days ago I got a date for that at end of June.  The ball does roll slowly sometimes.
Megan M.
on 5/27/11 12:29 pm - Canada
Was the psychologist Dr. Young?  I didn't see him myself, I saw Susan the social worker two or three times, but know him to see him.  Perhaps ask about seeing Susan, as she is nothing short of an angel - very understanding, very helpful.  I'm not sure why some people see the social work and some see the psychologist.

I'm really sorry to hear that you're having such a difficult time - my experience has been wonderful with all the staff.  My file also had a delay - I thought it had gone down 3 weeks earlier than it did, and I was crushed when I found out.  Ron, the coordinator, explained to me that once all test results are in, the file touches each staff member's desk for a report, then there is a round-table session, then once they have a few files together, they are sent to Hamilton.  It takes more time than we think to process a file, I suppose, but there could also be screw-ups as well for whatever reason.  I sympathize because I know how frustrating the waiting is because I've been through it.

Definitely call Ron, or even set up a meeting with him, and explain your feelings.  They are there to help us be successful.  We don't have all the answers - if we did, we'd all be thin!  But they are also looking for certain aspects of your own life that will aid in your success, i.e. your support systems, that sort of thing.  Let's face it - this is too big a surgery, too big a deal, to even entertain failure as a possibility.  You have to go into this determined to succeed, and they are there to help.  Don't give up.
sweet76
on 5/27/11 12:55 pm
thanks Megan, I was aware it was the surgeon doing the scope that books the appts not the center, and that they have no control over the bookings.  Perhaps it is just my personal frustration here, I do find little follow up.  I have not had an appt or contact with the center since Dec/10....just the initial appts, under the microscope with the Psychologist and Dietician...see you after your scope.  BTW Roxy, "but isn't that something you have already tried in the past? So, what's going to be different?" "well, life is full of motivated people but motivation doesn't gaureentee sucess""its not like it was before that any person with a warm body would get to have the surgery." these are all the same quotes said in my meeting with him, I too left feeling upset and discouraged.  Hang in there and speak with Ron, like Megan posted, perhaps you will get to see the social worker instead.
thunderwoman
on 5/27/11 1:52 pm - Canada
good evening everyone,  I have to say that i too share your frustration.  i hate to say this but i have been in this process for almost 3 years.  i went through everything and was waiting for a date from duluth only to have it cancelled because they were putting in a process and assessment centre in tbay.  so i started again last august.  i too had dr young and to be honest i share your pain.  i did go through all the steps again and like many others have been told my file went to hamilton only to find out it has not even left the office.  i just went for my surgeon consult this past week and been told it is not until july or august,  i have to say i was devastated.  anyways after regaining some of my worthiness back i am looking at it as it comes.  i think that because this assessment center is so new they are learning as we are as well.  i would strongly suggest to put on your to do list post surgery that is,  an evaluation of the process in writing to Rick and to the rest of the staff.  i did notice in the far corner of the waiting room a suggestion box but i am thinking that with follow up post surgery there will be an opportunity to give them some feedback.,i will be honest and will also make some suggestions and if they are truly wanting feedback they will make some adjustments.

i do believe they want us to succeed however their methodology is somewhat questionable.  i agree that i have heard more and more people complain about the psychologist and his methods of speaking to folks and perhaps it is time to voice our concerns to the team and the hospital as a whole.  it is not easy hearing that why do you think you are any different than anyone else.  what makes you so special? 

for now i am going to get this done, it is the best thing i need and will do what i have to do however i am an intelligent human being and i owe it to them to ensure they hear how i feel and felt through the entire process.  we owe it to ourselves and the process.   so hang in there and we will get through this each in our own way.
Megan M.
on 5/28/11 12:08 pm - Canada
Hi Thunderwoman - I'll have my surgeon consult the next round on June 21.  Would you mind telling me what went on?  What sort of questions did he ask?  Did you get your optifast?  If they're telling you surgery will be July/August, then I guess I'd better prepare myself for September surgery.  That's too bad, b/c I was hoping to be well enough for school startup (I work in a high school office) at end of August.
thunderwoman
on 5/29/11 4:54 am - Canada
the video chat with the surgeon is very brief.  he only asked me about some of my asthma medication and said ok. do you have any questions for me and since i did not have any it was over.  i did ask if there was any possibility of cancellations and he said no however it appeared that his assistant/nurse with him would be booking the appointments. she stated that i would hear when she gets operating room dates as to when i get my appointment. 

i will get my optifast prescription 2 weeks before the actual date. they (viv) will call me and then i have to go and get it.  i do have the education session  which is 2 hours on the 6th of juneso i am not sure what all this entails yet but i am sure i will be getting a binder which some people state it is my bible.  i have purchased other books and have read as much as i can about the surgery bot pre and post operation.  i am so looking forward to getting this over with and starting the next stage. 
Megan M.
on 5/29/11 7:01 am - Canada
So it looks like I'm a month behind you all the way!  My teleconference is June 21, my surgery class is July 4 (or is it 6th?)  That must have been Krista in the conference with the Dr.  I was really hoping to have this surgery over the summer so that I'm not missing too much of school startup.  I don't have anyone trained to do my job, and that's just such a busy time.  But I'll take what I can get and be happy with it.  You'll have to let me know what happens at your surgery class on June 6.  Sure do wish I was in that one.  
Most Active
Recent Topics