Transfer Denied

Little_LuLu
on 6/1/11 6:17 am - London, Canada

After speaking with St. Joe's, I decided to request a transfer from Guelph to St. Joe's (Hamilton)because the wait times for the information sessions is a "couple of months" versus over a year at Guelph.  I just received a message from Guelph informing me that I have been denied the transfer.  According to the message, St. Joe's will not allow the transfer just because I would like to attend the information session sooner.

I don't understand why this is an issue.  If Guelph is overwhelmed with referrals and St. Joe's is able to process patients quicker, why would they not want to help patients?

Any suggestions on what I should do now.

jdance
on 6/1/11 6:36 am - Canada
well all i can say is. THAT SUCKS.... BIG TIME....

3littlepigs
on 6/1/11 6:42 am
Tell them that you have family in Hamilton and it would be more convenient to have the surgery there.  Good luck.
Donna
debralight
on 6/1/11 8:05 am - Canada
 You could call the Ontario Ombudsman and asked why you are being made to wait when there are hospitals in Ontario able to provide the surgery sooner. Bonus marks if you have family in the vacinity of the hospital you are requesting.
Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

debralight
on 6/1/11 8:07 am - Canada
 something to keep in mind though is not all centres do stuff in the same order...so what might appear to be quicker might not be. I didn't have my group session til after i saw the surgeon ... though that was some time ago and i don't know how they do it now. 
Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

Allyson A.
on 6/1/11 8:09 am - Seeleys Bay, Canada
When I asked to have my referral moved I originally asked for it to be moved to St. Joes in Hamilton because I have a sister in Burlington. Ottawa told me that they could not transfer my referral to Hamilton but they could send it the Humber in Toronto instead. I agreed and the rest is history.

It has actually been faster for me at Humber. I am happy I did it and should have done it sooner.

Good Luck
HW 318  SW 291 

Nadine W.
on 6/1/11 10:49 am - Hanover, Canada
I just went through the same bull**** with Guelph. I was told St. Joe's wouldn't take me. But I had already asked and they said they would. I was told that the director at Guelph will not allow transfers. I am going to the Ombudsman and think you should too.
JennF
on 6/1/11 11:32 am
I heard that too about the Director in Guelph. I think if your at the begining stages you should make some phone calls. Cause new referrals for Guelph will take about 2 years, and  St Joe's and Humber River are 6 to 10 months. My sister and I sent our referrals at the same time..mine went to Guelph she went to St Joe's. I havent even seen a surgeon and she has had her surgery and is 20 pounds from her goal weight already. I think its all about the money. And I believe Guelph can only do 360 patients this year.
(deactivated member)
on 6/1/11 9:36 pm - Guelph, Canada
 Guelph is upping that number to 400+ this year (or thats what they claim from the orientation session)

I think its stupid that the director can hold your file hostage... what happens If I move to Kingston after starting in Guelph... thats stupid

I have already called the ombudsman's office with no luck

I can also see guelphs side of it too.... if everyone is transferring it does not look good for guelph and they may loose status for something they have no control of... guelphs area is HUGE.. we were told at out orientation session a LOT of windsor patients are coming to guelph... i think its the way the government will see where the need is for more surgeries.. where is the wait the longest... 
Mary A.
on 6/6/11 1:43 am
Although I can appreciate the paperwork and the funding that probably has been attributed to your case already..surely....there must be something that they can do.

Sorry this happened, but I would believe that as this surgery becomes more and more prevalent, that this sort of thing will likely happen and they probably have procedures.

as far as stating you have family there...it's worth a try...but being that it is already probably documented on your chart..the original reason given, you may have a bit of a battle.

As I always say (you are your own advocate)..so try whatever you can...can they place you on a cancellation list????

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics